Oil filter: design flaw in 02 CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ascas

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm not sure if this is valid to the non CRD Jeep KJs, but I think there is a design flaw with the oil filter placement on the 2.5 Diesel version (my 2002).

As you can see on the attached images, a screw from the body damages the filter. If the car is in a stationary position (eg. when you change the filter) there is about a 5 mm (0.2 inch) clearance between the problematic screw and the filter body. However as I suspect, when you drive the car the chassis is subjected to - not so - slight deformations, which may damage the filter.

You must be registered for see images

Has anyone else noticed this?
Do you think that the problematic screw might be shortened, or is the screw a special one used for lubrication?

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

ascas

Reaction score
WOW! That's a good amount of flex and damage to have started out with 5mm clearance. Is something else loose that could be causing the 'flex'?

I don't think so. I also think is possible that when driving, the chassis / suspension (or certain parts) deform that much. Especially if I think about deformation in resonance modes.

(I've tried to take a picture of the problematic part, but its all wet outside and I did not really want to climb under the car... )

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW! That's a good amount of flex and damage to have started out with 5mm clearance. Is something else loose that could be causing the 'flex'?

I don't think so. I also think is possible that when driving, the chassis / suspension (or certain parts) deform that much. Especially if I think about deformation in resonance modes.

(I've tried to take a picture of the problematic part, but its all wet outside and I did not really want to climb under the car... )
The drivetrain(engine,trans,and t-case) are suspended by "motor" mounts which soaks up small vibs so they are not transmitted to the interior and keep the uni-frame from "flexing" from the engines torque.The engine will want to turn clockwise(as from the drivers seat) when you press down on the stupid pedal from the torque.

ascas

Reaction score
The drivetrain(engine,trans,and t-case) are suspended by "motor" mounts which soaks up small vibs so they are not transmitted to the interior and keep the uni-frame from "flexing" from the engines torque.

I would say the engine is not the sole source of the possible vibrations. According to theory even a good old shock will excite all modal frequencies and shapes. Although the engine is a very good vibration exciter itself:) I will check the mounts.

And ooooh, sorry about calling 'it' a car. I will go into the corner, no dessert and TV for a week. :)