oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpd310228

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bout to do an oil change on the ol' libby this weekend, what is the best oil to use? i'd go synthetic but im not sure. i've heard you have to clean the system or some shit when u use it. any pointers?

p.s. best oil filter to use??

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Whatever brand you like, like tires everyone has their favorite. make sure you use a good quality filter.
NAPA has a good filter line that is very reasonable
Oil , I've used Mobile 1 for several years now and never have an issue and run all of mine up into the 300,000 plus miles range

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Like the man said pick your poison :D

I use Mobil 1 for both oil and filter. No problems mixing conventional and synthetic.

stn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thinkthe filter quality is more important to look at. 5w30 measurable. Companies cannot cheat on it. Filters are no so regulated. I'd probably use NAPA if I did not have a personalissue with them, so I buy WIX from Amazon.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I use Valvoline Conventional 5W30 and a Pureolator filter....get it for $18 at Walmart.

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change my oil often so I buy fram filters 5 at a time in Walmart. They have nice grips on the filter. always just hand tighten your filters. fill up the filter with oil before you put it on too. and smear a little on the rubber seal on the filter. I am original owner and have been running FULL synthetic since day one. I usually buy Penzoil as it is pretty well rated on consumer reports. The reason why they tell you to clean your motor before you use synthetic is that the previous owner may never have changed the oil often and there could be serious build up. Like crusty chunks of oil. And if you use synthetic they can knock loose and clog oil passages and cause hot spots leading to engine failure. In order to make sure you don't have these CHUNKS you have to at least take down the oil pan and examine crank and bearing from below. Maybe even in the pan itself. Synthetic also flows much better so if you have any cracks in the gaskets that the conventional oil cant get through... the synthetic might be thin enough to penetrate and leads to oil leaks. You should just stick to conventional oil and change often. Our KJ's are so high off the ground you don't need a jack so it literally takes 5 minutes to change the oil so there is no excuse not to change often. New conventional oil formulas are much better than before (not as good as synthetic) so you will be ok.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.