Oil change idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Reaction score
If you're like me you hate changing the oil filter on the libby's. I have started doing the following:

1. Get a 2 liter bottle
2. Cut the top and about 3 inches off
3. Slide the bottle over the filter
4. Squeeze the bottle and turn the filter

This may be old news to you guys but its helped me a ton. Just thought I'd share!

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
All oil filters should be able to be changed by hand. The need to torque the crap outta the little filter is not needed, trust me. I changed oil on vehicles for a living for 10 years, and let me tell you, some people overtighten the filters waaaaay too much. 1/4 to 1/2 turn after the gasket contacts the housing is plenty.

BNJ-KJ

Reaction score
I haven't had to change the oil in mine yet but I did notice that it looks like the filter will make a mess. I'll have to try the bottle idea.

saxdogg

Reaction score
I just use a wal-mart grocery plastic sack...I have like 4,305,987 of them.

JP

campyman

Reaction score
I like to drive my KJ to warm up the oil and make sure the contaminates are flowing and let the warm oil run down my arm and the smell, Ahhhh! Yea Baby!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just use a wal-mart grocery plastic sack...I have like 4,305,987 of them.

JP

hahaha, isnt that true.

I usually get mine as tight as I can with one hand which isnt real tight considering the many 90 degree angles my arm is subjected to. I always turn it at least 3/4 of a turn once the seal seats.

I have never been able to get it off by hand.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always able to get on/off by hand and I've had no leaks so far.

Mine just has the little plastic drip channel which I let the oil run through and then I clean it out with a rag at the end. Am I just lazy?

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're like me you hate changing the oil filter on the libby's. I have started doing the following:

1. Get a 2 liter bottle
2. Cut the top and about 3 inches off
3. Slide the bottle over the filter
4. Squeeze the bottle and turn the filter

This may be old news to you guys but its helped me a ton. Just thought I'd share!

Good idea on the bottle as a "chute". But doesn't a good amount still trickle down the block?

I am still amazed at the dumb location and angle of the oil filter.

matthewheld

Reaction score
Not that I'm a big fan of Fram oil filters, but I think they're the only ones left that have the '3/4 turn past contact with the base,' or the like written on the filter, with the little arrow marks every 1/4 turn.
I've always used that as my motto when tightening oil filters. My father had his oil changed somewhere, and on the way home, the oil light went on. Later, he found out the oil leak he spotted was because the oil filter gasket from the old filter had stayed with the engine, so an improper seal existed that spewed oil out and drained the engine in less than a few miles.
Later, while changing the oil on my wife's truck, I noticed the seal wasn't on the old filter, and stayed with the engine! She had taken the truck to get the oil changed, and the oil filter of course was tightened to 96 ft lbs of torque, plus a quarter turn.
I always check the gasket of the used oil filter, especially on vehicles where the oil filter location seems like an afterthought.

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm a big fan of Fram oil filters, but I think they're the only ones left that have the '3/4 turn past contact with the base,' or the like written on the filter, with the little arrow marks every 1/4 turn.
I've always used that as my motto when tightening oil filters. My father had his oil changed somewhere, and on the way home, the oil light went on. Later, he found out the oil leak he spotted was because the oil filter gasket from the old filter had stayed with the engine, so an improper seal existed that spewed oil out and drained the engine in less than a few miles.
Later, while changing the oil on my wife's truck, I noticed the seal wasn't on the old filter, and stayed with the engine! She had taken the truck to get the oil changed, and the oil filter of course was tightened to 96 ft lbs of torque, plus a quarter turn.
I always check the gasket of the used oil filter, especially on vehicles where the oil filter location seems like an afterthought.

"Jiffy Lube" strikes again!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is one rule when changing oil. DON'T USE A WRENCH TO PUT ON THE FILTER. I've been changing oil on personal vehicles for 16 years and have never had a leak. I'd rather cleanup the oil gutter than have a dirty cut up 2 liter laying around. OH, the gaskets on the filters are pretty soft, and if you do tighten them with 100 ft/lbs or torque you will probably squeeze it right out of the filter. Then you are sol 5 miles down the road. Always check the old filter to make sure the gasket is still there. And always "oil" the gasket.
Well, I guess that's like a few rules, but it is good advice.

Latest posts

Members online