OH NO! Rental car! seriously?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay i'm not going to panic about this, but I really don't like the way this looks. I got my build sheet today in my email and found this.

"YAA Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications
YEP Manuf Statement of Origin
3B8A Long Term Daily Rental
4FMA Fleet Option Editor
4FT Fleet Sales Order
4UP Enterprise Rent-A-Car"

Yeah. A Rent-A-Jeep!

I'm hoping this means that the services were all done on time and and correctly. And that recalls were taken care of, and that htey kept it in good working order etc. But seriously, people beat the crap out of rentals.

Funny the dealer didn't mention this, and Carfax said nothing about it either. I guess I would not expect that.

No, I'm worried. Yep, worried. :favorites68:

So now what?

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does all the windows roll up and down.. That is a good way to tell..

Before I got my 63' Falcon, I was looking at a 2007 Hertz Shelby ragtop from their used car lot by the airport. A smoken deal on such a rare car, but I thought yeah this thing has had a rough life. They had 3 of them and 1 was in really really good shape. I decided not to since it was nothing more than a sticker, seat package with the only performance mod being a better flowing airbox. But market on them has jumped since then, I could have made a cool $10K.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was a rental in it's past. Large fleets are much better about maintaining vehicles than most private owners. Just sayin'

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Mine was a rental in it's past. Large fleets are much better about maintaining vehicles than most private owners. Just sayin'

This is true .. I used to work for Budget in my younger days. Maintenance will most likely not be a big issue ... just the beating. The car jockeys can be much more evil to the average rental car than the customers in my experience :D

staggerlee41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mechanic actually recommended purchasing a pre owned car from Enterprise. He claims they take very good care of their fleet vehicles. YMMV based on the locale. I too wouldn't appreciate that not being mentioned by the dealer. Sounds like you went somewhere that you probably shouldn't go again. Surprised that Carfax didn't indicate that it was a fleet car though. That's a bit scary.

Did you ask where the vehicle came from and did they intentionally decieve you?

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ was bought for me by JL Audio for a company car. So the dude who buys it would be buying a rental that became a company car that became a privately party vehicle.

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually am feeling a bit better about this...

I contacted Enterprise to see if they had service records. It would say a lot about them if they could produce some.

Got to tell you too, I looked that Jeep over so close before I signed for it. It did look pretty damn sharp.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ came from Enterprise although I didn't find out until a couple years later. I had purchased it for my wife and I seldom drive or rode in it. While vacuuming the Jeep, I found an Enterprise rental agreement in the pocket on the back of the passenger seat. Based on the outgoing mileage on the paperwork, it must have been one of the last rentals before being sold. The rental was from a southern CA location and we bought it from a Jeep dealer in northern CA. Had 14k miles when we bought. Only unscheduled repair to date has been a water pump @ 42k. Now at 119k, the rear end needs to be rebuilt and has been howling for the last 60k miles, but it keeps going. I don't attribute the rear end issues to being a rental necessarily as every rear end shop I talk to says the same thing about the 8.25 and has replacement parts in stock. I'm hoping it holds together until I can afford to not only repair, but upgrade with a Detroit Tru-trac.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought a 99 cherokee in 2004. before i did i ran a carfax, came up clean! for what ever reason i ran one again 12 months later and enterprise rental shows up! i was worried but i am still driving the vehicle with no problems.

i don't know if carfax delays the posting until it is sold? is it a coincidence?

staggerlee41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that would really bother me is if the dealership was intentionally deceptive. I agree with you though, if you could get paperwork from Enterprise that comes back in check, that would be great piece of mind. Good luck!

Jeffrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My family tends to get their cars from Enterprise. My mom had a chrysler sebring for several years, my dad had an oldsmobile alero for 9 years and it was still in great condition when he traded it in for a 2010 chrysler 300 last month at enterprise. my liberty is also from enterprise. they are always in great condition and go through a major inspection before they sell them.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's Trailblazer is from Enterprise, bought directly from their dealership with her employee discount since she used to work there. It's a great vehicle and has given us no problems in 5 years of ownership. She told me once a certain percentage of rental cars are resold by Enterprise Dealerships after 1-2 years of being rentals (usually 30K miles.) The ones that get have cosmetic or mechanical problems tend to get sold back to the dealerships, who can fix them as required and sell them at a profit. They (Enterprise) does good maintenance on their vehicles though. It doesn't pay to have broken down cars in the lot that you can't rent or sell.