Oh Crap... My lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking my heads to have them shaved tmw morning and wife accidentally tuend the head up side down and dropped the lifters out of it.:icon_eek: They are all out of whack. Will I have to replace them? I didn't see any noticeable wear on them, but want to do the job right.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It won't matter which hole they go in at the end. They don't move like lifters, they are lash adjusters, which simply sit in a hole and pressure up against the rockers.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It won't matter which hole they go in at the end. They don't move like lifters, they are lash adjusters, which simply sit in a hole and pressure up against the rockers.

So they have spring pressure in them and just take out the slack to keep the rockers from flopping around?

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, they have hydraulic pressure. oil fills them and pushes the internals up to put pressure on the rockers and maintain contact with the cam.

You will want to clean the lash adjusters up before you put them back in.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, they have hydraulic pressure. oil fills them and pushes the internals up to put pressure on the rockers and maintain contact with the cam.

You will want to clean the lash adjusters up before you put them back in.

Clean them VERY well, without a doubt. Do I need to soak them in oil before installing to prime them?

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very very well. break cleaner and letting them drip dry for a day would do it.

don't soak in oil, not worth the time.

To prime the motor, once everything is installed, take a piece of wire with two male spade ends on it and simply bypass the starter relay for a bit. This will turn the motor and thus oil pump, allowing it to prime. You should do this step before installing valve covers, but keep in mind that it will spit oil, so a piece of cardboard held over at an angle will keep the oil from spraying out of the engine bay.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very very well. break cleaner and letting them drip dry for a day would do it.

don't soak in oil, not worth the time.

To prime the motor, once everything is installed, take a piece of wire with two male spade ends on it and simply bypass the starter relay for a bit. This will turn the motor and thus oil pump, allowing it to prime. You should do this step before installing valve covers, but keep in mind that it will spit oil, so a piece of cardboard held over at an angle will keep the oil from spraying out of the engine bay.

Last question, I promise. How long should I let it turn to prime?

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you don't ever run a starter for prolonged periods, or you can burn the brushes out.

I would turn it over for no more than 15 second intervals, taking a break of 15 seconds in between each.

Remember to bypass the starter relay with a jumper wire. Do not try and do this with the ignition switch or ignition turned on.

Latest posts

Members online