Off roading tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Godric

Reaction score
I have an 02 Renegade. I've owned it for about 6 years, it's mostly stock and have rebuilt the front end, new shocks and struts 3 years ago, k&n filter, and rebuilding the transfer case and drive line this next week.

I wanted to know of any tips for off roading. I have only done some basic 4x4 trails, and don't intend in anything crazy. My libby is also my regular driver so I don't want to deviate too far from mods that are expensive or reduce the efficiency on pavement.

The only tip I've found is to reduce the air pressure in my tires. Any other tips to teach this young Padawan?

Godric

Reaction score
Also, forgot to add that she had 80k miles and now up to 140k. I have also taken good care of her with full synthetic oil and try to run ethanol free premium or at least mid grade fuel

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tow points
skid plates
Good tires, not all seasons etc
Premium gas ??? Why ?
Get rid of the K&N filter
As far as a DD, I bought my 04 brand new, before it had 20,000 miles on it I lifted it ,my DD, only vehicle I owned until a few years ago and bought the 05 and 03 KJs
If you build them right, regear etc they are WAY better than stock ever was. Stock suspension is terrible from the get go

Godric

Reaction score
My jeep gets a bit better mileage (about 2mpg) and seems to run better using better fuel (more power and much smoother idol). I've tried different grades and anything less than mid grade makes her run rougher.

Is there a reason for no k&n filter? Any suggestions? And as far as replacing my shocks and struts, I went with some shocks better than stock. Not ultra high performance but ones better than stock. Can't recall the type but they were a step down from the most expensive ones.

Any other tips for hitting the trails? Like driving tips, what to look for on the trails ect?

Thanks for the quick reply

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Always try to be parallel to the fall line on a hill (think of how a ball would roll down, be parallel to that)
Use 4LO any time you don't need to go over 25MPH (keeps temps lower)
Don't let the front wheels spin wildly....good way to break the front diff if one suddenly gets grip

Otherwise pretty common sense...yield to those coming up hill, don't wait right at the foot of the hill for someone, give them plenty of room.

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best advice I can give is get out and find a local club. Join in on a run that is "new wheeler" friendly, watch, ask questions and LEARN! Only do what you are comfortable with doing. Like everything in life, you will need to practice, and the more you do it, the more comfortable you will become. You will get to know what your vehicle can and can not do. You'll learn the equipment that is needed for wheelin'. Don't get intimidated first time out, It is a lot of fun, and you'll meet some great, and let's be honest, some not so great people. Good Luck!

Bert

Latest posts

Members online