off road lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badaxewags

Reaction score
has anyone out there installed off road lights directly to the bumper. will the install hold up?

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed Hella 500FF's on my front bumper. They bounce around a little because the bumper is only plastic. But it's holding up for the most part. I had them on there for about 4-6 months now.

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i unfortunatley drilled mine through the bumper int he front, and i hate them, but am waiting for a new bumper to worry about fixing the problem.

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just put some hella 500's on my 06 and they are holding up well. what i did was took some washers and put them on the inside of the bumper to give the lights a bit better support... what i am thinkong about when i get my OEM fogs is take a bar mount it to the bumpstops then mount the lights to the bar and slide the bumper back on...... i need to post the pics of the install i made it look very cleen

liv42dy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are mine. custom made bar thru the bumper facia.
You must be registered for see images attach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a bar made for the front of mine.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Hella 500s 3M taped to my bumper.

I took the U brackets off the lights and removed the bolt. I then welded the brackets to the biggest washer I could find at Lowes. I painted them with a color from Dupli-Color as close as I could find to my Jeep. I then put the brackets back on the lights and covered the bottom of the washer with 3M two sided tape. After that, I measured where I wanted them, made a template out of wood (to make sure they were pointed straight forward) and then stuck them on. I then used a level and the wood template (to keep them pointing straight) to get them aimed right, up and down. Then, thightened the light the rest of the way. Which turns out to be a PITA to do that and not move the lights at the same time, but with some patience, I pulled it off.

They are aimed very well and do not vibrate anywhere near what I thought they might. You have to hit a good bump in order for them to shake a just a little. The set-up has held up really well so far.

Last edited:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Hella 500s 3M taped to my bumper.

I took the U brackets off the lights and removed the bolt. I then welded the brackets to the biggest washer I could find at Lowes. I painted them with a color from Dupli-Color as close as I could find to my Jeep. I then put the brackets back on the lights and covered the bottom of the washer with 3M two sided tape. After that, I measured where I wanted them, made a template out of wood (to make sure they were pointed straight forward) and then stuck them on. I then used a level and the wood template (to keep them pointing straight) to get them aimed right, up and down. Then, thightened the light the rest of the way. Which turns out to be a PITA to do that and not move the lights at the same time, but with some patience, I pulled it off.

They are aimed very well and do not vibrate anywhere near what I thought they might. You have to hit a good bump in order for them to shake a just a little. The set-up has held up really well so far.

Thats Pretty awesome. I never thought of doing anything like. I think painted dumpers are thicker than the sport model grey dumpers. So thats why your like don't bounce as much.

My aren't bouncing that much right now either b/c of the cold weather. The bumper can't flex so the lights don't bounce :D

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't take any pics of how I mounted them but, basically, I pulled the plastic fascia off and screwed some metal tabs to the metal crossmember. The tabs slid between the outer fascia and the plastic support inside the fascia. Once I had it all back together, I simply drilled holes through all of it (plastics and the metal tabs) to mounts the lights through. It worked pretty well but wasn't very pretty up close. It all came off when I put a Detours Backbone on there, though.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a bar made for the front of mine.

You must be registered for see images

I love the way this looks on yours, and would love to do it to mine. Only issue is the dratically different '07 bumper. What I am considering is building a similar bar, but then having it mounted to the steel bumper (pull the cover off) and then cut a "U" for each tube out of the plastic fascia so it can be slid back over the mounting plates/steel bumper. You'd just see each steel tube coming up out of the plastic fascia. I'd put it as close to the grille as possible so you don't see the missing plastic on the rear. I think that could work out decently well.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the way this looks on yours, and would love to do it to mine. Only issue is the dratically different '07 bumper. What I am considering is building a similar bar, but then having it mounted to the steel bumper (pull the cover off) and then cut a "U" for each tube out of the plastic fascia so it can be slid back over the mounting plates/steel bumper. You'd just see each steel tube coming up out of the plastic fascia. I'd put it as close to the grille as possible so you don't see the missing plastic on the rear. I think that could work out decently well.

In some ways I wish I did something like that, now it's a PITA to take off the grill & bumper cover to do other things to it, I have to remove the light bar & lights first. I've been thinking of pulling it and 're-desining' the way I mount it, Hind sight I guess!

Can't wait to see yours when you get it done.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In some ways I wish I did something like that, now it's a PITA to take off the grill & bumper cover to do other things to it, I have to remove the light bar & lights first. I've been thinking of pulling it and 're-desining' the way I mount it, Hind sight I guess!

why not move it foward? when I did mine I moved it forward and since my cuts werent very good I went ahead and grinded down the bottom so that it leaned forward like a stinger, that way it looks good and will protect my grill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not move it foward? when I did mine I moved it forward and since my cuts werent very good I went ahead and grinded down the bottom so that it leaned forward like a stinger, that way it looks good and will protect my grill

Pictures JSC, Pictures!!

lv4tdy, love the look of yours!

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its probably a little hard to really tell but it is leaning forward, if you want better pics I can get some. But I can still easily take off my grill when needed

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep I already welded light tabs on it, I just am waiting to get the bumper all welded up and Im going to bedline it before I wire up the lights

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good point, I didn't even consider removing the grill! The way I was picturing doing it, it would have been a PITA to remove the grill as well. Would have had to remove the whole bumper cover.

I am also considering some 4" lights and mount them in the grill slots. I know someone on here had done this. I like the look of the bar better, but it'd be easier - heck, I could have them in the grill in just a couple of hours.