Odering my lift...finally

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But want to run it by the experts to get some input.

I've got an 07 Sport 4x4, 151k miles, on stock suspension. Time to either replace stock (yeah right) or upgrade. Here's my list so far, all OME:

Front Strut - NS131
Rear Shock - NS132L
Front Spring - 927's
Rear Springs - 948's

I know I still need to address the front bump stops as well as rear (terra flex for the front, then hockey pucks for the rear), and possibly (or definitely?) need to do something about the rear brake lines (saw a DIY on brackets somewhere on here about that).

My plans are to install the lift with no add-ons (rear upper isolators, clevis spacer, top plate, etc) and see where it's at, and add clevis spacers to adjust as needed. Then I want to drive it around for a week or so with the stock tires on (they're worn out anyways, so IDC about the alignment for the time being). After everything is properly settled, I'm getting new 235/75-16 tires and the Firestone lifetime alignment done.

Am I missing anything?

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are my other options for shocks/struts (besides Iron Man) that will ride comparably to the OME? Trying to cut down on the price a little.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good except I would get the alignment right away, it can feel like a pig on ice until the alignment is done. No use to wait . We do them and then straight to the alignment shop for the first one

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What are my other options for shocks/struts (besides Iron Man) that will ride comparably to the OME? Trying to cut down on the price a little.
Bilstein can be had for a little cheaper but then you'll need the sleeves for the rear shocks to fit correctly. My thoughts anymore, each setup be it OME or Ironman are deigned as a package, while other shocks may ride ok the ones made for those springs will always be the best
With that said , I have riden or had mine with all the different setups there are, some ride a little softer, some more pronounced depends on what you want.
Saving a few dollars today may not be the best option if the ride is bad for the next 75-100,000 miles

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine driving an entire week before the alignment. Just the 1 day was horrible. Felt like driving on unstable ice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of my thoughts as well about sticking to one brand.

As far as the alignment goes, I'll see if I can stand it for a few days and go from there. Just have to call tomorrow and order my stuff and I'll be on my way.

I know it's highly recommended to get the bump stops right away, but if I'm easy on it and not off roading, will I be ok without them for a couple weeks?

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Hedsic...will definitely reconsider my plans.

Also, Hedsic, which Rancho struts are you running? RS999764?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Hedsic...will definitely reconsider my plans.

Also, Hedsic, which Rancho struts are you running? RS999764?

Stick with Ironman, OME or Bilstein, the Rancho line for the KJs is not good anymore . They did away with the RSX lineup which were perfect.
Plus Hedsic has a JK now so different setup

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha on the Rancho...wasn't sure. Did not see the "2010 Jeep JK"...or the picture. derp-da-derp

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of my thoughts as well about sticking to one brand.

As far as the alignment goes, I'll see if I can stand it for a few days and go from there. Just have to call tomorrow and order my stuff and I'll be on my way.

I know it's highly recommended to get the bump stops right away, but if I'm easy on it and not off roading, will I be ok without them for a couple weeks?

You'll be fine on the bumpstops for a while no offorading, no jumps over railroad tracks , no backflips ................:icon_lol:

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, looking at the OME90009 as well vs the OMENS131. JBA only had the 90009 on it's page, but I always hear about the 131. Is one better than the other, and why?

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, looking at the OME90009 as well vs the OMENS131. JBA only had the 90009 on it's page, but I always hear about the 131. Is one better than the other, and why?

They discontinued the 131s and 132s

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Random thought - if you're getting a lifetime alignment, why not just get it aligned right away and be done with it. Then get it aligned after it's all settled in. Put that lifetime alignment to use, lol.

I got a 3 year alignment through Goodyear and have had 3 alignments in the last month and a half, lol!

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TheBlueKJ - Thanks for the info on that

tlrtucker - True story, just don't like to abuse it I guess.

Also, from what I'm gathering, the hardest part of the install is getting the front struts assembled. Is there anything else I should look for?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just take the new and old front shocks and springs to a shop and let them do it. Much easier and safer

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely have a shop swap over the springs and reassemble for you. It's the perfect time for a break, it'll only take them ~45 minutes if there's no wait, and they have the equipment to do the job safely.

KJ springs are stiff as hell. DIY spring compressor are dangerous to begin with, and usually aren't up to the job and will break. A friend of mine insisted on trying to use his Harbor Freight spring compressor on my springs and ended up bending the hell out of the threaded rods before the coil even began to compress.

Shops around my area general charge $20 per spring to remove and reassemble. $40 well spent, IMO

Last edited:

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once again, funds fell through...i.e. me and the boss decided not to put this on credit and wait till we have the money (the smarter but more boring choice).

At least now I have a solid parts list and something to look forward to.