ODB Code P0845?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Jeepers!

Been mostly lurking for a while because my '02 Liberty has been running so great. It does have 164,000+ miles on it now though.

But...

I towed a motorcycle from Huntsville, AL (400 miles) Saturday and when I was about 100 miles from home I got a MIL light. The darned indicator looked like transmission so I pulled over to the side and checked what I could. The ****** fluid looked good (red), nothing smelled burned, and I wasn't leaking anything so I kept on and made it home. The ****** did shift strangely right after that though, but has been working fine since.

When I got home I put my scanner on it and I pulled a DTC P0845 code that I was not able to erase. Again, the fluid level looked OK and what I could find on the web made the code just appear to be a sensor.

To be safe I rented a car and dropped the Jeep of at my mechanics shop, which opens back up tomorrow morning.

Thoughts?

Oh, I do have the factory towing package and the 45RFE transmission.

Here's a pic of the towing rig:

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks!

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0845-2C HYDRAULIC PRESSURE TEST FAILURE
When Monitored: In any forward gear with engine speed above 1000 RPM shortly after a shift and every minute thereafter.

Set Condition: After a shift into a forward gear, with engine speed above 1000 RPM, the TCM momentarily turns on element pressure to the Clutch circuits that don’t have pressure to identify the correct Pressure Switch closes. If the Pressure Switch does not
close 2 times, the DTC sets.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
RELATED LINE PRESSURE DTC’S PRESENT
RELATED PRESSURE SWITCH AND/OR SPEED RATIO DTC’S PRESENT
TCM AND WIRING - LOW LINE PRESSURE
INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS
2C PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
POOR LINE PRESSURE SENSOR CONNECTION
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
2C PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
2C PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
EXCESSIVE DEBRIS IN OIL PAN
INTERNAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEM - 2C PRESSURE TEST
TCM - 2C PRESSURE SWITCH
TCM - NO 5 VOLT - LOW LINE PRESSURE SENSOR

If you look at the list of possible causes, there are a lot of different components to test. This one could take a lot of troubleshooting.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information.

I wonder if bringing it to the dealer would be the wisest thing to do here, they may be better equipped to troubleshoot this.

Thanks!

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem. It could be a solenoid issue, worn clutches, input speed sensor, etc. When I looked through the diagnostics for this DTC on the Chrysler website, there is a ton of tests to run.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I got the Libby back on Thursday good as new again. It was the solenoid. The transmission place installed an updated solenoid and said there was some issues with the one I had so there were some changes/updates made. They also changed the filters and fluid (of course).

All total, $875.00, plus rental car while it was in the shop.

A little birdie is telling me to start a new vehicle fund as I'm not sure I want to spend much more for any other repairs. As mentioned above, I have almost 165,000 miles on it now and would love to get another 100,000 miles out of it before I have to get something else.

I'll probably be getting a company car soon and I hate the thought of the Libby just sitting in the driveway, I think that ages it more than driving it.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Hi All, I got the Libby back on Thursday good as new again. It was the solenoid. The transmission place installed an updated solenoid and said there was some issues with the one I had so there were some changes/updates made. They also changed the filters and fluid (of course).

All total, $875.00, plus rental car while it was in the shop.

A little birdie is telling me to start a new vehicle fund as I'm not sure I want to spend much more for any other repairs. As mentioned above, I have almost 165,000 miles on it now and would love to get another 100,000 miles out of it before I have to get something else.

I'll probably be getting a company car soon and I hate the thought of the Libby just sitting in the driveway, I think that ages it more than driving it.

$875:eek: What was the cost from...labor or the part?

That *****....I hope that is not an issue for 02's....

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
timmer, what year/transmission is your KJ?

2002, 45RFE.

I was talking to the owner of the shop and I said that I thought the 45RFE was one of the better transmissions you could have. He shrugged his shoulders and said all automatic transmissions are a work in progress.

$875:eek: What was the cost from...labor or the part?

That *****....I hope that is not an issue for 02's....

Parts were $445 and labor was $300.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
2002, 45RFE.

I was talking to the owner of the shop and I said that I thought the 45RFE was one of the better transmissions you could have. He shrugged his shoulders and said all automatic transmissions are a work in progress.

That's basically ThunderbirdJunkie's answer when somebody says "What car should I buy?"
"Ehh, they're all pieces of crap and need fixed." :)