O2 Sensor Confusion Clear Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Just want to make sure I have this right

Bank 1 Sensor 1: Driver side pre cat
Bank 1 Sensor 2: Driver side post cat
Bank 2 Sensor 1: Passenger side pre cat
Bank 2 Sensor 2: Passenger side post cat

Please let me know if I'm wrong! I've been trying to figure this out haha!!! I've found multiple different answers on the web. Maybe it's model specific...or maybe people out there aren't that smart. :shrug:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Please let me know if I'm wrong! I've been trying to figure this out haha!!! I've found multiple different answers on the web. Maybe it's model specific...or maybe people out there aren't that smart. :shrug:

Only correct for the KJ,other vehicles can differ.Bank 1 is the passenger side on my Town Car so it's a vehicle specific thing.Then don't even start with FWD vehicles with V engines,there you have front and back.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only correct for the KJ,other vehicles can differ.Bank 1 is the passenger side on my Town Car so it's a vehicle specific thing.Then don't even start with FWD vehicles with V engines,there you have front and back.

Ew. Righto. Thanks for the clarification guys!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Marty are you replacing one of the sensors and if so what brand ie NTK are you going to use?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marty are you replacing one of the sensors and if so what brand ie NTK are you going to use?

Yeah I'm replacing B2S2. Probably B1S2 at that rate too. And of course using NTK. Going to order them from RockAuto. Inspection is due in July so I gotta get rid of all MILs.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't say what your issue is, but based on replacing sensor 2, then you must be getting a catalytic converter error code.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can also mean an exhaust leak between the front and rear O2 sensor, a short in the circuit, or it's the PCM. Hopefully it's only the O2 sensor.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can also mean an exhaust leak between the front and rear O2 sensor, a short in the circuit, or it's the PCM. Hopefully it's only the O2 sensor.

I know all of those are possibilities (well...not the exhaust leak. That's new.). But always gotta start with the cheapest/easiest thing first!

cj847

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Just for clarification - Bank 1 is the bank with cylinder #1 and bank 2 is the other one (doesn't matter if it's a V engine or an in line engine, bank 1 contains cylinder 1). Since some V engine manufacturers name the drivers front cylinder #1 and others name the passenger front cylinder #1 it is model specific.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for clarification - Bank 1 is the bank with cylinder #1 and bank 2 is the other one (doesn't matter if it's a V engine or an in line engine, bank 1 contains cylinder 1). Since some V engine manufacturers name the drivers front cylinder #1 and others name the passenger front cylinder #1 it is model specific.
#1 cylinder is the leading banks 1st cylinder.If you look at a "V" engine you will see 1 bank that sticks farther forward then the other bank due to the offset of the pistons on the crank.That bank that sticks out farther is bank 1.

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Alright, so this is what is really puzzling me. I cant seem to clear it up anywhere. On all of the auto parts websites it doesnt do it in banks, or in driver/passanger side. i need a B2S2 replacement, and im looking at NTK Sensor #23141 from Advanced Auto, and it says downstream left. Is this left if youre looking at the car, or if you are in the car looking forward? Do i need part number 23142 (downstream right)? any help is appreciated...sorry if this is very obvious and i just cant tell...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sitting in vehicle you have the left side ( on your left, right side on your right)
Downstream left would be the one on the left side under your seat ( almost ) if sitting in the drivers seat in the U.S.

Hapster

Reaction score
Is bank 2 sensor 1 closer to the engine or back? I know its the passenger side. Thanks