Nubie with CRD Sport in UK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparky 1

Reaction score
Hi I am a nubie living in the UK . I have recently purchased an 03 Cherokee / liberty . I love the car but am very disappointed with the 2.4 Diesel engine . Its gutless , noisy , and very thirsty . I am an auto sparky and during the course of my work i get to drive lots of vehicles . The latest Ford transit diesel vans are a joy to drive and are almost undistinguishable from a petrol engine . I previously owned a Subaru forrester and I thought this was gutsy but it wasnt a patch on the cherokee. Can anyone tell me who makes this monstrosity of an engine .
( No I dont want to buy a Transit van ! )

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards from Scotland! Whereabouts in UK are you?

I've got the 2.8L CRD Sport and it's a really gutsy beast with awesome fuel economy... (about 10 l/100 km or 28ish MPG) - not too bad for a 4x4.

Did you pay the new tax for it?

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sparky -

Can't say for sure about your engine, but the turbocharged 2.8 CRD which I had in my 2005 Liberty Limited was made by VM Motori (jointly owned by DaimlerChrysler and Detroit Diesel) in Italy. I had my '05 for a little under 18 months, and it was a love/hate relationship. We loved the vehicle, itself, and the diesel would absolutely run like a ***** ape. The combined city/highway fuel mileage, though, was no better than a gasoline engine, diesel fuel in southern Indiana has been running 35 to 55 cents per gallon more than 87 octane gasoline, and I had to drive a good bit out of my way to find a station which sells diesel. We recently traded for a new 2007 Liberty Limited with the 3.7 V6 and are once again happy campers! \:D/

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havoline said:
Sparky -

Can't say for sure about your engine, but the turbocharged 2.8 CRD which I had in my 2005 Liberty Limited was made by VM Motori (jointly owned by DaimlerChrysler and Detroit Diesel) in Italy. I had my '05 for a little under 18 months, and it was a love/hate relationship. We loved the vehicle, itself, and the diesel would absolutely run like a ***** ape. The combined city/highway fuel mileage, though, was no better than a gasoline engine, diesel fuel in southern Indiana has been running 35 to 55 cents per gallon more than 87 octane gasoline, and I had to drive a good bit out of my way to find a station which sells diesel. We recently traded for a new 2007 Liberty Limited with the 3.7 V6 and are once again happy campers! \:D/

But then, thats in America, and from what I gather, diesel isn't used as much there.

In UK it's so expensive for fuel, that diesel is the better alternative, and diesel can be bought at exactly the same places where you can get petrol.