nu-bee posting 'ok, now what?'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, now what?
I've had my black '02 4x2 sport for about 2 weeks and been lurking here reading various threads. So now I ask, Now what? what can I do with this beastie? I know, alot of you all have the 4x4 versions and going nuts with this mod and that mod and bumping about the wilds.

But, is going off road just for 4x4's? or did I make a mistake getting it and should of gotten that powder-buff blue new beetle :freak3: that was my alternative choice?:disgust:

I've read the jet chip threads, the exhaust mods, the air intake mods, Diff swap outs, even looked to ask.com and yahoo answers,
even this:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/Notes_From_The_Road/FourWheel_Drives.aspx?pg=1

:shrug: so, can I?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Any KJ is better than a Beetle....unless it's a 63 that looks like Herbie. :D

Well...let's start off with this:
What do you want to do with your KJ, what do you want to spend?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
When I bought mine the first thing was real tires. The stock all season tires offered all slip even in rain.
The second thing was getting new spark plugs and doing a complete tune up incl, rear diff GL5, transmission dealer service, engine oil into Mobil 1 synthetic with Mobil1 filter,air filter, throttle body cleaning with IAC and TPS cleaned. (4x4's front diff & transfer case too)
For real off roading (not just mild trails) skid plates and a lift are considered a necessity.
I like having real floor liners so Weathertechshttp://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp.aspx?VehId=709&Year=2002&CustomerVehId=0 digital fit up front, came within a few months of ownership. (the reindeer are flying in a rear cargo liner this year too)
The mods and creature comforts are never ending, after my lift is done, I plan on getting some locking roof rail cross bars, and then a decent roof basket. etc...
Welcome to the forums...and enjoy your KJ. Rear wheel drive is ok as long as you stay away from snow,mud and rock climbing.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Look up user 'long tall texan'... he has a 4x2 KJ and has done some pretty neat things with his. :)

(welcome)

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any KJ is better than a Beetle....unless it's a 63 that looks like Herbie. :D

Well...let's start off with this:
What do you want to do with your KJ, what do you want to spend?

Next month (a xmas gift from dad) is a hitch/wiring (he has a utility trailer that I can use).
Camping this summer, I was thinking national forest..fire roads? (or something mild to learn on).

after all, I have all the time world.

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought mine the first thing was real tires. The stock all season tires offered all slip even in rain.
The second thing was getting new spark plugs and doing a complete tune up incl, rear diff GL5, transmission dealer service, engine oil into Mobil 1 synthetic with Mobil1 filter,air filter, throttle body cleaning with IAC and TPS cleaned. (4x4's front diff & transfer case too)
For real off roading (not just mild trails) skid plates and a lift are considered a necessity.
I like having real floor liners so Weathertechshttp://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp.aspx?VehId=709&Year=2002&CustomerVehId=0 digital fit up front, came within a few months of ownership. (the reindeer are flying in a rear cargo liner this year too)
The mods and creature comforts are never ending, after my lift is done, I plan on getting some locking roof rail cross bars, and then a decent roof basket. etc...
Welcome to the forums...and enjoy your KJ. Rear wheel drive is ok as long as you stay away from snow,mud and rock climbing.

It does have a new set of Cooper Discovery ATD's on it...came with them.
no plans to go up to the snow (I dont ski), not confident enough to try rock climbing and already had a bad experience with mud.

I like those mats...

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does have a new set of Cooper Discovery ATD's on it...came with them.
no plans to go up to the snow (I dont ski), not confident enough to try rock climbing and already had a bad experience with mud.

Yeah, I have been stuck in mud several times even with 4x4.

Welcome..........

Dave

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have been stuck in mud several times even with 4x4.

Welcome..........

Dave

but it looked like a flat, grassy field next to the railroad tracks and my female freind and I where talking about taking it camping and wondering....ofcourse the heavy rain the last few days didn't get a passing thought, it was clear now. :shrug:

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Beetle will go more places than a two wheel drive KJ will!

Look at Baja racing!

not the "new beetle"...it's nothing but a passat in drag.

true dubs have rear AIR COOLED engines, no AC, crappy heaters, and a fanatic following...

standard bugs make good baja's...supersbugs are for german and california look rally/race cars.

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have a '77 GMC 4x2 suburban (tow package and ambulance doors), 454 motor...the thing was a beast, I inherited it from the folks when they got a minivan, as a kid we towed 35' airstream all over canada and the us wit it and I loved that thing...I had to sell it when it cost nearly $100 a week in gas....

the Liberty reminds me of that suburban..only in miniature...

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
not the "new beetle"...it's nothing but a passat in drag.

true dubs have rear AIR COOLED engines, no AC, crappy heaters, and a fanatic following...

standard bugs make good baja's...supersbugs are for german and california look rally/race cars.

So true!
New "Beetles" ain't Beetles at all!

I used to have a '77 GMC 4x2 suburban (tow package and ambulance doors), 454 motor...the thing was a beast, I inherited it from the folks when they got a minivan, as a kid we towed 35' airstream all over canada and the us wit it and I loved that thing...I had to sell it when it cost nearly $100 a week in gas....

the Liberty reminds me of that suburban..only in miniature...

Our KJ ***** back about $80.00 per week here in B.C.!
$1.18.9 per litre!

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So true!
New "Beetles" ain't Beetles at all!

Our KJ ***** back about $80.00 per week here in B.C.!
$1.18.9 per litre!

I was surprised at the room they (new beetles) have, but after driving trucks and vans most of my live, I feel like I have to squat down to get in them and is dragging my butt on the ground and some how the ride seems....hmmmm...."mushy" to me.

what's the exchange rate with you guys now? bet your still cheaper than California gas.

thinking about it, no regrets with the libby, it's tall for me and easy to get into, it's a truck like my old suburban, feels solid and for hauling a tent trailer or teardrop 4x2 should do me fine.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look up user 'long tall texan'... he has a 4x2 KJ and has done some pretty neat things with his. :)

(welcome)

x2 he's done some pretty sweet stuff. You can also push a lift higher than us 4x4s since you have no CVs to worry about. (as LTT has done)