NOW what's leaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea what is leaking here? It appears to be where the front driveshaft meets the front differential. Any particular seals/gaskets right there, or more likely something bigger?

Edit: no idea why my pictures keep getting rotated when I upload

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 36

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put some paper underneath overnight so you can tell what's leaking.
Any residue still left on the jeep?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like on the diff for the propeller shaft hard to tell with that picture on my cell phone. Doesn't look like an axle seal to me.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pinion seal?

Clean up everything you can get to in the area. Then drive it and keep an eye on the area to see if you can track it down.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put some paper underneath overnight so you can tell what's leaking.
Any residue still left on the jeep?

That's the thing, I can't identify it. Feels like some type of oil, doesn't have an identifiable smell, seems colorless.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have coolant leaking, drip from the diff originating from the lower rad hose. something I still need to fix.

Put a paper and you can tell what color the leaking fluid is so you can identify what it is.

or even try to trace the leak. look at the lower rad hose hosing if it is coolant or it might be coolant from your WP.

Last edited:

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely seems to be dripping from where the front driveshaft connects to the differential housing. The puddle in the driveway didn't evaporate despite 60+, sunny, and windy conditions. Seems like a trip to the professional garage for diagnosis is required.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was the seal between the front driveshaft and the differential. $285 later, no (more) ugly oil stains on the driveway.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chrysler actually calls the front drive shaft a prop shaft. Glad u have peace of mind now.