Noticed a strange thing...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All-

Noticed a strange thing with my KJ since I did the last oil change. Before I changed the oil, when starting the engine, the starter would kick in and cycle 2-3 times before turning the engine over. Since I changed the oil (5 Quarts of Mobil1 with a Purolator filter), I've noticed that the starter engages in an extra cycle or two in order to turn the engine (that's 4-5 turns now). Furthermore, it sounds like it's struggling a bit to turn it over, though it does turn over every time. But the difference is noticeable to a meticulous nut like me, and I don't want to keep holding the starter over for extra time and damage something. What do you think is causing this?

I dip-sticked the oil reservoir and the stick reads mostly through the "Safe" area every time. Do you think it needs another half quart or full quart of oil?

Some of you may recall, for the first oil change that I attempted myself, the filter was on so tight that I couldn't get it off, and I took it to a local service station and left a filter and a case of Mobil1 in the car (6 quarts). When I returned, the whole case was empty and I suspect the engine had 6 quarts in it, so that's my reason for wondering if it needs some more oil.

Thoughts?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
5 quarts. No more, no less. Dunno why it seems to be starting harder. Did you choose the wrong weight? 5W-30 is what it needs.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Marlon. Got the weight right, 5W-30. I'm skeptical about the oil thing because a full 5 quarts should be more than enough...I wonder if this is a sign of a larger problem. The thing is practically brand new, only 4500 miles on it...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Take it to the dealer then, but DO NOT TELL THEM you just got an oil change!!! (unless they ask...) That's a quick way to deny warranty coverage. Simply state that it seems to be struggling to start. Dealer service departments (from my experience) do not like to be told what to do.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to the dealer then, but DO NOT TELL THEM you just got an oil change!!! (unless they ask...) That's a quick way to deny warranty coverage. Simply state that it seems to be struggling to start. Dealer service departments (from my experience) do not like to be told what to do.

Deny warranty because of an oil change?! I don't get it.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, why not?
They will blame the shop wherever he got it changed. Stealership will say "oh yeah they broke the confumbalutor :)p) while changing the oil". You never know! Although you can fight with them that it was a state registered shop, etc.. It is best to play dumb, as always. (Until they start trying to screw you with a new confumbalutor..) :D

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hyedipin - That would work if my driveway was a state registered shop! But sadly, my driveway, ramps, and socket set are not state registered :)

I performed the last oil change and I know I didn't break the confumbalutor lol...How would I play that off if I took it to the dealer?

Stampey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the starter is going bad, not the oil. The only time i hearrd of a problem like that was when my sister ignored the add oil light, and dried the engine up. I had my oil changed at walmart a few weeks ago, and it started up the same as it always had. hmm

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a new jeep as you said. The oil change and the starter cranking an extra time or two are probably just a coincidence. Although anything is possible, I doubt that your starter is on the way out at 4,500 miles.

Try this out of curiosity. You have an electric fuel pump in the gas tank. It keeps pressure in the lines. The next time it sits all night and you go to start it turn the key only to the on position and wait 2 seconds for the fuel pump to pressurise the system, and then start it. See if it catches faster.

That said though, It really doesn't sound like there is anything wrong but I'm not a certified mechanic.

As to the oil, check it on a level surface and after it has been shut off for a couple of minutes to let the oil drain to the sump. As long as your oil level is in the crosshatched area, you're in the "safe zone" but top it off to the line. Be careful not to overfill it.

Hyedipin could be right about the confribulator.....You probably bent your fleemen pin off road which shorted out your phobostadt modulator and toasted your confribulator.....hahaha.

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are probably worrying to much. Let it be a Jeep.. It will make alot of noises and such.. So dont worry about those when they come around. When it makes a crazy farting noise when its cold out and you start it, dont worry. When the suspension sounds like rocks in the winter when going over speed bumps, dont worry.. Drive it, and be happy. Dont worry. I wouldnt worry about that either. Ohh, and dont worry.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can say that nobody changed the oil.. :) Or take it in for oil change, pay $20 to dealer, go back next day say "what's that noise" ?

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like he did it himself, unless I missed something, so yeah, quick way to deny warranty coverage. :)

Never heard of such a thing. Unless he obviously messed somthing up like drove it around the block with no oil in it. Changing the oil has nothing to do with the starter.

Like Jeepster said probably nothing wrong with it. It's a jeep not a lexus.:D

2003KJ

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think anything is wrong with it. How long are you letting the fuel pump "prime" the system before you begin to crank it over? On mine, when the engine is cold, if I do it immediately it will spin over a few extra times before it fires. However, if I let the fuel pump prime the system, just for even 2 seconds, it will fire right up in its normal 2-3 cycles.

Just something to consider. I'm also like you, and paranoid about my Jeep....even though I know by now the usual noises it makes on a daily basis, and i'm always on the look out for even the slightest change in its normal behavior.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I should probably mention is that I have a tendency to "baby" my vehicles...and I think that's what I'm doing here. Checked the oil once more and it's all the way full, so no problems there. As someone also said, an oil change and the starter have nothing to do with each other, and I've done my fair share of oil changes, so I know I didn't screw anything up that way.

I let the fuel pump prime for 10-15 seconds after letting the Jeep sit for 4 days and it started up just fine (no extra starter turns), which leads me to believe that I just need to let it prime the fuel system a bit longer. I usually let it prime for a few seconds before turning the ignition to start, but it could need a few more than I've been giving it.

I feel like such a noob! So I guess the moral of the story, let the Jeep be a Jeep! :)

papasmurf42482

Reaction score
the fuel pump is leaking internally. I'm a jeep dealer tech and have done a few of these in the recient past for the same symtoms. Take it in to the dealer, its covered by your 3/36 warenty with no deductable.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the fuel pump is leaking internally. I'm a jeep dealer tech and have done a few of these in the recient past for the same symtoms. Take it in to the dealer, its covered by your 3/36 warenty with no deductable.

Is there a TSB for it?

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously? I haven't even read about this problem in the various forums. Anyone else ever heard of this being a problem?