Not happy with OME 948's & Bilsteins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed OME 948/927's with new Bilsteins all the way around at 103 k miles replacing all stock equipment. Have not been happy with ride quality since, especially the rear. It's more bouncy and rocks side to side than the sagging worn out old stuff. At 110k now, pulled the rear shocks and noticed they are fairly easy to compress. I remember putting Bilsteins in my F-250 Super Duty, and it was all I could do to hold them in place to get the bolt in. I can hold the Jeep Bilsteins with one hand. Is the Jeep application of the Bilstein a soft shock? Or did I get bad ones. If normal, is there a firmer shock?
Secondly, when going over expansion joints or harsh potholes where there is little suspension articulation, I get a banging noise like someone smacking the under side of the Jeep with a 2x4. I can't find anything loose and it doesn't make noise on big bumps that cause larger suspension articulation. I can go over speed bumps fast or slow and not get the noise, but turning onto my street there is a 1/2" difference between the new pavement and the old. When I go over that at 10-15 mph, it sounds like the rear of the Jeep is falling off. It's bad, I can no longer turn the stereo up louder than the suspension makes noise. Guess I should fix, since I can't afford a louder stereo. Would the ball joint from the tri-link make noise like this?

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, took the rear shocks off. Looks like drivers side is leaking, maybe. and I was wrong, I can't hold the shock compressed with one hand. Still soft though. I think I want firmer rear shocks

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Which rear lifted Bilstien shock did you install part #? F4-BE5-A702-HO ?? I used those and rear is fine on my KJ, but ya a bit of swing until I used Spidertrax wheel 1.25 spacers.
Standing on the rear gate how much can you bounce and can you hear the bang then?
Try getting someone to bounce the rear and see if you can find the suspect noise then..
Definitely inspection time on tri-link. Use a crow bar and try to pry up on center BJ and see how much movement you got. Should be relatively tight.
(nothing worse than a loose rear end)
Make sure the sway bar bolts and shock bolts are tight.
All I can think of, shocks should be tight I could hardly move mine when new. Never took em out after though.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply LibertyTC. Checked and my rear shocks are part# F4 BE5 2790 HO. Stood on the bumper and bounced up & down. Jeep looked like a 69 Impala with hydraulics, bouncing like crazy. Fronts were much much firmer.
Used a 10" screw driver and pried up on the tri-link ball joint, I get about a 1/4 movement up & down.
Jumping on the bumper does not create the suspension noise. I did find a loose parking brake cable bracket, so I tightened it. Nothing else was loose.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume you installed bump stops, like hockey pucks in rear and Tera-flex in front?
Sometime you get a bit of a bang when things compress as you may be hitting the bumpstop.
Our rear shock #s are different. I think the 2790s are also for Durango just dont know on length specs.
This could be the difference. Mine is tight not too bouncy or leaking thatl do it.
Are you sure the bang is not coming from the front spring? My stock upper control arm was hitting spring and what a clunk that was. Re-inspect the front/rear springs and see if you can find any chips in the paint on all 4 of the springs.
1/4 inch movement is about normal and I cant say that is where the noise is coming from. If i could drive your rig may have better idea.
Do you get any noise if u put it in reverse and hit gas?

Last edited:

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No terra flex or hockey pucks. Just went the 1.5" lift springs. Wasn't looking for lift, just better ride.
Removed my sway bar while I was under there. Then the boy & I went out for some light off roading. Jeep wheels SO much better with the rear sway bar off. Didn't hear any noise from the back, but the front was clunking and bumping. That's probably my steering rack bushings and sway bar bushings. Had the wife work the steering wheel side to side and saw the steering rack moving every which way. The ole girl is tired and needs so love.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah there are really only 2 good shocks for the rear of a lifted KJ.

One is the Rancho RSX 17004's,sadly Rancho axed the RSX series:shrug:.

The other is the Bilstien 7100 series 12" short body shock with either the 275/78 valving or the 360/80 valving(extra stiff),the 255/70 valving maybe okay for a lighter KJ without a steel rear bumper.Bad thing is there price which is about $180 each,but they are 100% rebuildable.The 7100 series shocks also have a much higher build quality as each one is hand assembled since you have 6 choices for valving,takes about 3-6 weeks to get them.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are the Bilstiens Hydro's or nitro's?
I know Hydros can "leak" and lesser quality will leak quickly ,not that Nitro's dont
are they installed with the right side up?
I ran OME shocks and was very very happy with the ride
I am running Skycrapper's on the TJ and they are soft
I plan to run OME's on the TJ so you may give them a shot

oh and just FYI
if the shocks you installed were to long and you bottomed them out by not adding longer bump stops to the rear
then you more than likely destroyed them
if the shocks are stock length then no need for longer bump stops ,duh

Last edited:

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my shocks are not that bad for sure!!!!

Guess I'll accept that the Bilsteins are somewhat soft and live with it. Perhaps someday, when all the other issues are repaired, I can look until other options.
But for now, the howling rear axle, leaking water pump, and worn out steering rack bushings all take priority.