Not a Jeep but thought you guys could help me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced the original rack on my 04 GMC envoy due to leaks. All was fine with the original as far as steering effort, but the replacement rack steers hard. So I replaced the new one with another thinking it was a bad rack and this one is the same and steers hard as well. Hard to imagine i've gotten two bad racks so thinking the problem is elsewhere. It has about 2/3 of power steering it should have. I had no problems before this with hard steering. The wheels also don't want to return to center like they should. I get some resistance when turning as well but sort of goes away when I rev the engine. The steering effort acts as though it frees up a little when revved but not much. Is it possible that my steering pump is weak and not doing its job any longer and not able to keep up with the new rack and no leaks. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you bleed the rack? Jack both front tires off the ground, and with engine running, turn the steering wheel fully lock to lock several times. Is it making any whining noise?

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you bleed the rack? Jack both front tires off the ground, and with engine running, turn the steering wheel fully lock to lock several times. Is it making any whining noise?

Yes, jacked front end up, cap off and turned wheel full lock both directions 20 or so times. I have no bubbling or foaming in reservoir. For the most part no noise other than a slight whine when revved when turning. I get a pulsating feeling when slowly turning wheel at idle and goes away with increasing rpm's making me think it may be the pump.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these "new" racks, or remanufactured? A-1 Cardone rebuilds most steering components in the US, no matter what name is on the box. Even if they didn't rebuild it, they'd be the best place to ask for technical advice. Here's their "contact us" page;

https://www.cardone.com/contact

Bob

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Variable steering assist is associated with vehicle speed. Did you plug in the electrical harness to the steering pressure sensor on the rack?

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something I just remembered for the OP to consider:

There is a steering wheel position sensor in the steering column that assists the steering wheel to return it back to center.

If you freely spun the steering wheel while the rack was off the vehicle....and then randomly lined up the steering wheel so that it LOOKS like it is installed straight ahead....that sensor will be misaligned and the steering wheel will fail to return to center. What I mean is: The tires are pointed straight, the steering wheel is pointed straight BUT the position sensor is misaligned.

This sensor also provides input on the amount of power steering assist.

There is a certain procedure to visually and properly line up the steering wheel shaft with the steering rack (while the steering wheel is removed).

What ever you do, DO NOT freely spin the steering wheel a bunch of times as you will destroy the clock spring (which is a big dollar repair associated with the airbag system).

There is actually a special tool used to lock the steering column in place which prevents it (the column) from moving during steering rack removal/installation. This tool looks like a Lock Pin and inserts into the column from the bottom, behind the column trim plastics.

Last edited: