noob here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olfatdaddy

Reaction score
Hello all:
I am new to this forum and am very seriously considering buying a liberty. There is an '03 Renegade at a local lot that is optioned out very nicely and has 44k miles. They are asking 14,900 for it. My questions are.....What are some of the inherent problems I may face with this jeep? I want to lift it and put bigger tires on. How big can I go and still be hwy friendly and close on the speedometer? Is this a good price? Any and all comments greatly appreciated.....Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Price may be just a tad high.

Ball-joints are an issue. Make sure its had the balljoint recall.

No need to worry about the speed-o.. It doesnt get far enough off to matter. I put 245/70/16 tires on mine and my GPS said it was right on. Idk what is going on there..

Good luck and be sure to give it a look over! Check the maintenance records and it wouldnt be a bad idea to have a trusted mechanic go over it. :)

2003KJ

Reaction score
Blake summed it up pretty good. There are no massive lift kits (that are worth anything anyways) out for the KJ yet, so you're not gonna go high enough to warrant a new speedo gear. If anything you'll be off 1-2mph.

Definitely check to make sure the lower ball joint recall has been done. Grab the VIN number off of the Jeep and punch in the last 8 digits under the "for owners" section on Jeep's website to determine if there are any outstanding recalls on the vehicle.

And the price does seem a bit high for the year and milage. I'd probably go for 11, 12K the the MOST.

Oh, and (welcome) to the site!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board. Have the dealer drop that price. Depending on the looks of the vehicle regarding paint and interior, the price may not be too much overinflated. I ran a Kelly's Blue Book Retail suggested price for a 03 Renny with 44K on it and left all the options and it indicated 14895. That was with excellent condition. However, if the dealer wants to sell they will work a deal with you. Just tell them this is the max I can afford and I want this Jeep, give me the options.

Lifting the Renny will be easy and we have plenty of information to research what lift to get, etc. Also, your speedo should not move far from normal, like Tim said 1-2 mph.

Finally get the VIN and do a search. Maybe run a CarFax report? Good Luck with the purchase and make sure to get some pics when you bring her home!! WOOT!