Noise, sounds like rear brake rubbing on 05 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rambilt

Reaction score
Does anybody have the same problem. It does it specially when its cold but not contanstantly just after a few meters then it goes away. I had it checked at the dealer and they can't seem to duplicate the problem. My wife drives it everyday, and she can also notice hear the noise. It's not a high pitch squealling noise it kind of hard to explain.

Anyway, anyone experienced the same problem with theirs???

Thanks!

05 V6 auto Limited 4X4

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats probably the number 1 complaint about libertys, the problem started with the introduction of rear disc brakes and after all these years DC still don't know how to fix it.

Bob

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that it is the world of disk brakes, particularly rear ones. I have the same issue with an '87 Nissan 300Z. I don't have it with my Liberty yet but I never use my parking brake. If you use your parking brake try not using it for a while and see if that makes a difference.

Experts can refute me but when I have replaced pads on disk brakes I am always scratching my head about the fact that they never really retract, but always drag a little. Drum brakes are different, the shoes are sprung and retrack away from the drum at rest. I am guessing that when you set your parking brake overnight or weekend it takes longer for the brake pads to wear a little/or relieve the little residual pressure in the lines with cold brake fluid. We probably hear all of the complaints here about the Liberty simply because most of us drive rear drum cars and trucks and have no other vehicle to compare with.

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY 2005 libby limited...

I never used my ebrake for this reason *THINKING* it will lock on etc.. happened to me, where my rear right brake last week locked on and didnt release... dealership couldn't duplicate.. got so hot the paint all peeled off.. I'm honestly considering getting a new toyo pickup.. my limited jeep has every option nav, etc has 10,000 miles is 1 yr old.. in 2006 I'm not going to have brake issues.. on a car..

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds

I get a creaking sound when my 05 comes to a stop. It does not happen at the initial breaking but only right when the vehicle comes to a complete stop. Sounds like boards creaking almost. Had the dealer look at it and of course they couldn't find a problem. It is a little more prevalent during cold weather, but it's kinda annoying so I might take it back sometime soon to get it documented again....

dnm45227

Reaction score
Sounds like the "rear brake moan" TSB (Technical Service Bulletin). The dealer should be able to find it easily. If your under the 12/12 warranty should cover it. BTW, my '05 does it as well. I never took it in to get it looked at. Just never botherd me enough to motivate me.

There was a fellow who posted hear that said his was bought back through a lemon law because of at least in part due to the brake moan.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Re: sounds

Amarony said:
I get a creaking sound when my 05 comes to a stop. It does not happen at the initial breaking but only right when the vehicle comes to a complete stop. Sounds like boards creaking almost. Had the dealer look at it and of course they couldn't find a problem. It is a little more prevalent during cold weather, but it's kinda annoying so I might take it back sometime soon to get it documented again....

could be just the suspension..kj's are kinda known for that..when it's really cold..the suspension creaks till it warms up...

rambilt

Reaction score
thank you all

I didn't realize that there was a TSB for this problem. Shouldn't all the dealer know about the TSB? How many complaints should there be before a recall can be justified?

dnm45227

Reaction score
The sales guy (the internet sales manager) we bought the '05 from didn't even know what TSB meant.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: sounds

Amarony said:

Are you driving a manual or automatic transmission? If it's an auto that creaking might be the chrysler transmission. sometimes it sounds like a creaking. But then again it might not be. I'll have to record my father's seabring's transmission doing the brrrrr-tick-tick-tick-tick so we can have an audio file of it.

dnm45227

Reaction score
Good point! That really freaked me out the first time I noticed it. I think it was Jon that said (I'm paraphrasing), don't worry, just a Liberty on the prowl.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: thank you all

rambilt said:
I didn't realize that there was a TSB for this problem. Shouldn't all the dealer know about the TSB? How many complaints should there be before a recall can be justified?

The TSB is not for 05 and newer models

Bob

dnm45227

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't know that. Even though it officially doesn't apply, seems like the symptoms are the same.
Like I said, never bothered me enough to take it in.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
Good point! That really freaked me out the first time I noticed it. I think it was Jon that said (I'm paraphrasing), don't worry, just a Liberty on the prowl.

heh...thats the 2nd time u quoted (or in this case paraphrased me)...

i dont remember saying it exactly that...but then again, i cant remember 2 minutes ago..so... :-s

dnm45227

Reaction score
Just means I'm spending too much time on the forum. Seriously, I LMAO when you said it. Guess it just stuck with me.

Like I tell everyone at work. I have a hard time remembering yesterday, I'm not garunteeing anything beyond that.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
Just means I'm spending too much time on the forum. Seriously, I LMAO when you said it. Guess it just stuck with me.

Like I tell everyone at work. I have a hard time remembering yesterday, I'm not garunteeing anything beyond that.

heh....if u spend that much time here...that means I live here....LoL

(look at how many damn posts I have...LoL)

now u got me curious...i gotta go search that then.... #-o

rambilt

Reaction score
-=JoN=- said:
dnm45227 said:

heh....if u spend that much time here...that means I live here....LoL

(look at how many damn posts I have...LoL)

now u got me curious...i gotta go search that then.... #-o

You guys are what made this forum... Thanks for all your knowledge!!

dnm45227

Reaction score
I'm more of a hanger on, but you are right. A core group did make this a coll place to hang out.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
well, bennett provided the foundation...and the cabinet members and the other vets pretty much just laid out the first step for the rest of you guys....

this is a group thing, and it's the members that's what makes this place.

I thank you guys too for helping in making this place what it is.... =D>