Noise experts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad opinion bearing sound?

Back to driving the 03 again after a couple years
Finished the overhaul. New everything I can think of besides lower arms in the front.
Got this noise going on.

https://youtu.be/W7nE0DTCdBc

When I get time I’ll have to lift it up and let it run on stands and stat investigating.
However maybe someone will be like “oh yea dude that’s the xxxx part” and I’ll be like “cool man thanks you saved me a evening on laid out on my driveway” :icon_razz:

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Did you try moving the back tires to the front and vise versa? Does it get worse in 4WD? To me it sounds like tire noise or wheel bearing noise.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s what I thought too. The bearings where shot 2 years ago. Replaced with moog. They droned loudly it was bad.
Tires are brand new. Maybe 6k on them at most ?

I’m hoping it’s not mechanical $$$. Like something from the drivetrain aka transfer case.

Joenavy85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get a similar noise on mine, but only when i have little to no load on the drivetrain (coasting, and right after the cruise control takes over). The best I've come up with is that the backlash or pinion depth on my rear diff is off a little bit

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Hankooks make a similar noise when they want to be rotated since they were new.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Hankooks make a similar noise when they want to be rotated since they were new.

That’s worth a thought. Thanks
Does sound like I was driving with huge swampers.. Quick running of my hand over the tread - no cupping.

I’ll dig into it a bit more this weekend should the rain hold off. I’ll move tires around too.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That’s worth a thought. Thanks
Does sound like I was driving with huge swampers.. Quick running of my hand over the tread - no cupping.

I’ll dig into it a bit more this weekend should the rain hold off. I’ll move tires around too.

It exactly sounds like I have huge swampers when they want to be rotated.:happy175:

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. Pinion bearing.
It’s been described in other threads with whurrr whurrr sound and it never struck me that’s exactly what mine sounds like.

Should change the thread title so others can hear what a bad bearing sounds like

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update. Pinion bearing.
It’s been described in other threads with whurrr whurrr sound and it never struck me that’s exactly what mine sounds like.

Should change the thread title so others can hear what a bad bearing sounds like

Front or rear pinion?