Noise at rear end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning when I was backing the Lib out the driveway I heard a very scary noise, somewhat resembled the noise when dragging something that gets caught under a vehicle, when I pulled forward it a sounded like a bunch of gears not meshing, said what the heck, drove it around the block and the noise went away, wife said it sounded like it was in the right rear wheel, I know if I bring it to the dealer and the noise is not present, they will give me the can't dup routine.

Bob

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... the only advice I can give is if you have a locker in your Lib. A friend of mine has a chevy pick-up with a locker installed and he has described that sort of noise before. He tells me it only happens once in a blue moon and he's too lazy to pull off the cover and look.

If you don't have a locker. You got me??? kopkrab.gif

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No locker, I'm going to take it in tomorrow, probably wasting my time, but somehow I have always felt there was a problem in that wheel, when backing up and applying the brake I hear a thump

Bob

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
must......resist......urge......to make......."noise at rear-end".......joke........

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id say it was ur brakes, mines did it for some time, but hasent done it in awhile. Tell them u think its the rear brake moan tsb. They will replace the rotors and pads. but i may be wrong. many other ppl should say something about this.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not bring it in, without the noise present they are going to say they can't duplicate, I will wait until the noise returns or some other symptom show up

Bob

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rear brakes make all kinds of noises. It was even diagnosed as a bad ring and pinion then replaced. They groan, moan, squeal, wine and such forth. Especially in the mornings. There is a TSB for rear brake moan if you feel like taking it in.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the contrary my rear brakes have been very quiet with the one exception last Sunday. Does the TSB cover 05 models?

Bob

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a limited slip? Could be your trac lock.

copenhagen6

Reaction score
noise while backing

Stock tires and wheels? My tires are a bit larger than stock w/ lift and they rub when backing. Just a thought.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 wheel drive, to old for anymore offroading and stock tires, I went to a summer place the last few days and the wife noticed something, after sitting for a day or so the noise returns and it is definitely in the right rear wheel, when the brakes are first applied to shift out of park there is a thump sound, after when moving the Lib either direction there seem to be a scraping noise which dissapears after driving about 150 yards, when used everyday neither of these noises are present.
I am going to take it in on Tuesday and see what happens.

Bob

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow Up

Brought the Lib to the dealer and they kept it overnight and was able to reproduce the noise but could not identify the cause, this is what Jeep tech support is saying.

This a verbatum from the email the dealer got from Jeep.

"Noise heard is normal brake noise been reported on other Libertys caused by vehicle sitting over night due to humidity causing pads to seize to rotors, once a pad is warmed up the noise goes away, recommend lube pad backing and pad guides to help in noise for customer satisfaction, BUT THIS IS NO MEANS A FIX."

Bob :-({|= (Aeh)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the followup Gentleman. My brakes make noise after I wash the wheels, just for a block or so.

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did notice a slight moan the other morning. I can only assume that when you leave in the morning, the rotors and pads are cold from overnight and oxidation may be covering on the rotors, especially if you washed the vehicle from the night before. But once the brakes are applied and warmed up, the noise goes away. The sliders on the calipers hold the pads against the rotor until the rotors are spinning faster. Once the wheels gets going, the pads release away from the rotor as you pick up speed. Just my theory but I had the same problem on my previous car.

fuji

Latest posts

Members online