newer engine in older model kj

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daedaestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an 02 kj renegade with a bad motor... i am going to try to buy this 05-06 used motor to install in its place.. has anyone tried to update to a newer motor? anyone know what is involved and if its possible without to much hassel?

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there are some differences, but can not remember if they were just external (mounts and such) or internal.

Here ya go, a VERY quick search netted this thread link

daedaestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my enginge had a broke off piston in it when i bought it... and furhter inspection showed all the journals for the cams were wiped to...

daedaestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o and i had seen that thread u had quoted speedracerbubba already but it wasnt very helpful unfortunetly...didnt really make anything clear?

daedaestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well looks like im stuck buyin an old motor and spending alot on it to......:mad: unfortunetly..... i thought wen i got mt reneagde for $1000 it was gunna b a sweet deal.... now im thinkin it might not have been such a hot idea...

Midgear

Reaction score
how much are you spending on the motor? how many miles on it?

1000 bucks for an 02' renegade with everything working but the motor?

hell I'd pay to put a motor in it lol

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just take my time to look around junkyards for a decent deal. are there any other vehicles that run the 3.7 thats exactly like the one in the 02 kj? minivan maybe?

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much are you spending on the motor? how many miles on it?

1000 bucks for an 02' renegade with everything working but the motor?

hell I'd pay to put a motor in it lol

X2 on that! Worst case scenario lets just say $3-4k to get a reman motor and have it installed, and now you a new motor that shouldn't give you any problems and have a $4-5K Rene!!

daedaestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
midgear/twack: i have had the renegade since nov. and i have been calling the local junkyards and checking ebay regularly.... and for any motor with less than 100k on it ive been consistantly hearing and seeing 1700 and up.... and yes everything else but my blower motor seems to be working....

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas to CRD is going to cost a lot more then a motor swap, your looking at replacing half the vehicles systems and components... Not worth it.

Check www.car-part.com for a motor.

I don't know where your located but a quick search as an example i found one in Iowa from a 2002 with 43,000 miles on it for $2,000.

So your saying the block is shot, can't reman it?? I would go with a longblock then. From a few sources online the longblock can be had for $2-$2500 with warranty. You have to transfer sensors and intake and all accessories from your existing motor but its not that bad of a deal.

You still end up with a 02 Rene with a new motor for $3-4k, if you do the work yourself otherwise you will dump more into labor, thats still a steal of a deal.

Otherwise sell KJ in current condition for a couple grand and get something else, i don't know what else to tell you.