Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

Just got an '05 Renegade, Silver, for free because the ****** is toast. I'm in the middle of pulling it to rebuild, so I haven't done anything to it other than replace the battery and a broken front fog light.

Hood's up because I was replacing the battery - and cleaning up the acid with baking soda - that day.

Attachments

• 07_JeepRight.jpg
    07_JeepRight.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 53

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

Dave

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a couple more pics...

Attachments

• 03_JeepInterior.jpg
    03_JeepInterior.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Jeep_4eyes.jpg
    Jeep_4eyes.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 02_JeepGauges.jpg
    02_JeepGauges.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 42

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I think I'm going to like it once I get it moving under its own power. I think a clutch pack is toast, but no hard parts (almost no magnetic stuff in the pan).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I can't believe that transmission is toast with 78k. Was the wrong fluid used?

My sister has an '05 Renegade with 98k, but her steering wheel looks like absolute garbage compared to that one.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Only ever serviced by the dealer with ATF+4.

No reverse at all and it only goes forward with a LOT of pedal (and it jerks). Pulled the transfer case first and it's fine. Will pull the ****** this weekend and take it apart.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some done today. Not as much as I wanted, but that never happens since I haven't got a garage or even a paved driveway...

Finally got the front end of the front driveshaft out. Got all the electrical connections unclipped. Removed the y-pipe (took out the front O2 sensors but only unclipped the rears). Removed the starter. Removed the ****** inspection cover/reinforcement guard thing. Unclipped the ****** shifter cable from the shift lever and the bracket. Couldn't remove the ****** cooler lines because I didn't have a 15/16" or 24mm flare nut wrench. Now I do.

So next is to unscrew the 2 ****** cooler lines after pulling out the clips, bolting the ****** to the ****** jack and unbolting the ****** from the engine. Oh, and I have to move the support jack to the rear of the engine. It's on the back of the ****** right now, since I pulled the transfer case a couple weeks ago.

The rebuild kit, cooler flush and new transfer case position switch will be here Monday. I have to get a new transfer case shift cable clip thing (the big one that holds it in the bracket) from the dealer (I assume it's dealer only?) next week sometime - mine disintegrated as soon as I touched it.

I already have 2 new oxygen sensors to put in front of the cats. I'll simply leave the rears in place. I have new spark plugs, too; none of the service docs I got say anything about the plugs and it's running slightly rough, though that could be from 2 year old gas. It is running a little rich, so I'll change the plugs anyway. And a new air filter and PCV valve. Once it's running again, I'll change the oil too, despite it having 2000 miles on it since the last change.

I will have to clean up the rotors before I put the wheels back on. They're awfully rusty, as could be expected after sitting 2 years. There's some rust on the oil pan that will be easier to get to with all this stuff out, along with a couple spots here and there. I'll get those done before I put the ****** back up.