Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey just introducing my self Names Larry own a 2007 liberty sport 4X4. Had the KJ for 4 years now Wife's DD joined site a while back, but never posted before. Never really done much, but wife is interested in some work now that it's paid off. So she wants a color change to Flat black or Satin black. I'm thinking since it's time for Shocks and tires anyway might as well do a small lift kit and wheels. I am active on many other boards and figured before going into this lets see what works and doesn't here.

Currently looking at the Rusty's KJ Liberty 2.5" Suspension Kit and Revo 2 tires any feed back would be appreciated about this kit. Truck is a DD while it has been off road a few times Main goal is functionality, comfort, and dependability.

Also wheel suggestions black and cheap with out looking like a car wheel with this off set seems to be tuff. I would like to keep with aluminum, but only thing I seem to find is a PAC wheel in steel with a +12 off set.

Should start working on her soon as these damn window regulators are fixed

Well here is the Culprit.
You must be registered for see images attach

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since reading through the Lift section for the last 20 minutes screw Rusty's.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Rustys is junk same spring rate as stock ( 310 lb )
Go with the tried and true OME springs ( 927s front 948s rear) and if you been reading you know what shocks etc
Stay with 7 inch wide wheel and 4 inches of backspacing / 245-75 tires and be good
Ride will be 100 times better than stock on and off road

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was only going to go 245/70r16 right about stock height I like wheel well clearence. Looks like probably going to run the Frankenlift just need to decided wheather I want to drop 1200 on the whole kit or 800 on the pre assembled. How are the strut mounts on these? any know problems are common wear that might justify the whole kit? Really only want 2" lift. Never noticed stock was a progressive spring what was Jeep thinking. Probably explains why the suspension feels like crappy with some miles on it now.

OME 927 that's the 400lb spring right? Still seems kinda low I run 400's on my car which is 800lbs lighter may be 1000 after weight reduction never weighted it yet.

Last question only a 7" wheel? issue's with clearance with a 8"?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Most any tire we can run on the KJs only require a 7 inch wide wheel
If 245-70 would be way too wide really even though some do.
400 lb spring is all you need , ride will be firm but not harsh
If you only want two inches of lift over new stock height then just use the springs etc , Frankenlift will give you more like 3.5-3.75 inches of lift

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Good people and info here.

Dave

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most any tire we can run on the KJs only require a 7 inch wide wheel
If 245-70 would be way too wide really even though some do.
400 lb spring is all you need , ride will be firm but not harsh
If you only want two inches of lift over new stock height then just use the springs etc , Frankenlift will give you more like 3.5-3.75 inches of lift

Ok thanks for the help this should be fun, and that will save a little cheddar. Just figure why not lift if i'm pulling it apart anyway. The wheel I like is 16X8 steel, but im stilll keeping my eyes open for aluminum. So if it will work I may go that way if nothing else grabs me. Really Rusty's kit would probably be fine for the plan with this, but I know myself well enough that once this is done I won't stop so will need more spring rate.

Thanks Dave! I'll be around this has been added to my list of common forums now.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Trust me Rustys won't cut it
very weak springs and the ride and handling ***** big time.
Huge difference between Rustys and OME springs
Rustys will give you 25000 maybe my first OME lift ( with 927s/948s) lasted 100,000 miles before I took it off to upgrade again

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to agree. I was looking at other lifts, but after doing a lot of research and asking questions, I was steered in the right direction. OME lift all the way! I only went with the OME 926 springs up front, as others mentioned the 927's might be too harsh if you don't run an ARB bumper up front. I've not had any problems with mine, but if you're looking for maximum clearance, then 927's are probably the better choice.

When I did my lift Rancho was still making their RSX shocks. Now it seems Bilsteins are the way to go. I haven't looked into the shocks discussion lately to see if there are reasonably cheaper alternatives, as I do know Bilsteins can be expensive. If that's your stumbling block, might look around for something cheaper.

Honestly, I think I did my OME lift for $600 or so. That's springs and shocks, plus bumpstops. While you're at it, go ahead and either buy 3 conduit nuts per side, or just measure the spacing, and give yourself a clevis lift. I didn't do that when I lifted, but since you'll be in there, just save yourself the time and do it so you won't have to go back.

Other than that...good luck, and keep asking questions until you're comfortable with the decision you ultimately make.

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well she's at the dealer getting the windows fixed. when that's done I'll do some maint, and then really start looking.

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Windows are done I think first thing to do will be exhaust actually any tips on a Cat back?

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Windows are done I think first thing to do will be exhaust actually any tips on a Cat back?

I emailed one of the guys over at kNOw Where 2Jeep...and he gave me a quote on a Magnaflow stainless muffler. It wasn't their polished style, but it was pretty cheap. You can just cut out the factory and install an aftermarket style. That will shed some weight, and get you better flow, plus it will sound better.

It's been a couple years, but he only quoted me $65 for the 4x9 oval Magnaflow in stainless and $68 for the 5x8x14" long.

That's pretty cheap for a name brand stainless muffler. Might check it out.

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory exhaust is MIA at the moment. Originally had a 40 series flow master on Turn down then went to a 50 series now it has a OEM GTO muffler from my car. The 40 sounded good, but they all droaned to much for the wife. So either a full Cat back or custom made. Anyone make a high water exhaust kit for the truck? Probably buy a cheap pacesetter kit or something just need to make it quieter and simple again.

Latest posts

Members online