Newbie with a Problem! 04 Liberty Randomly Not Starting!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

APatton85

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Liberty that I just got less than a month ago from a local Jeep dealer. It runs smooth and quiet, but a week ago, I parked at the gas station and when I came back out, it wouldn't start! The lights and radio come on, but the engine does nothing at all. I replaced the starter/solenoid, the battery cables are clean and tight, charging system is good, and battery passed the load test. Now what? One time it starts right up and the next it does nothing. No rhyme or reason. Don't know what to do! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to forum.

Try pushing on the Shifter the next time it does it. My Jeep used to not start up for my wife every now and then and it was because she wasn't pushing the shifter all the way up into park. Pushing it up far enough for that the transmission was in Park and was able to remove the key but not enough for the vehicle to realize it was in Park when it came to starting the engine. The shifter was in Park and everything but a little extra push just a smidgin did the trick.

Also,
Also have ever tried starting the jeep with transmission in Neutral. Obviously make sure your e brake is on and your foot on the brake before trying this one.

Last edited:

roberjon

Reaction score
I had a similar issue a month or so ago. If starter/solonoid, battery, fuses, and and the starter motor relay are all good, then you may have a broken ignition actuator. To my knowledge, the only other component in that circuit is the Power Control Module.

APatton85

Reaction score
Thanks guys! My dad and I took apart the steering column today, only to find that we not only needed an ignition switch, but an ignition actuator pin as well. The end of the actuator pin had broken off and was not turning the ignition switch all the way when the key was turned.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! My dad and I took apart the steering column today, only to find that we not only needed an ignition switch, but an ignition actuator pin as well. The end of the actuator pin had broken off and was not turning the ignition switch all the way when the key was turned.

Make sure you do not try to get the actuator assembly from the dealers...they will insist that you need to buy the complete steering column assembly!

Look at the Sticky above here "how to start with broken ignition"