Newbie, Trans problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geezer98

Reaction score
Hello all Geezer98 here,
I've got what I think might be a "lemon" problem. Just bought my new '07 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L w/auto trans. Drove thing off the lot and took it home at 9pm last evening. As I was driving it, and got up to a steady speed,45 to 50mph, it would vibrate as if it was in too high a gear and the engine was laboring. (just like putting a manual trans in too high of a gear too soon) When I push the O/D button and take it out of overdrive it stopped. I called the dealer the next morning before leaving for work and told them I thought the lock up converter was not disengaging. They told me that everything was probably okay to go ahead and drive it. Well, on my way to work, after about 25 miles the "Trans temp" light came on. The dealer came and towed it in. They called me and told me that the computer was giving them a code that the converter would not disengage.(Hmmmm, seems I heard that some time earlier that day) However, they don't know why. I told them if they can't figure it out definately, that I want another Liberty. I don't want to be a ginnie pig for something they can't figure out. Since my Jeep only has 75 miles on it and I had owed it less than 12 hrs when I called them, I don't think it's unreasonable. I've owned other Chrysler products in the past with no problems.

Has anyone else had a transmission problem similar?

Thanks.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I've not heard of anything similar as your issue, but I don't think that its too much to ask to get a new Liberty.

The fact that the trans temp light came on, means the ****** was running hot. At the very least, they should replace your converter, as well as do a complete transmission flush.