Newbie needs help with Daystar 2 1/2 lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josh1984

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

i would just like to say that i do enjoy this forum. i just purchaesd a 2003 liberty sport, 5 speed and i would like to install a lift. i think i am going to go with the Daystar 2.5 inch spacer lift. i know people on here argue not go with that, save your money and go with the OME, etc. etc..

i am a college student and i need new tires and i want to lift it right now.. money is tight for me. any way.... i do like the the fact that the daystar lift, (Part Number: DAYKJ09116BK), has everything... except for bumpstops. my question is where can i get them and how much. also i was planninng on changing my shocks... have about 70k on them... any suggestions for them, anything that is priced at a reasonable rate? also, what els ewould you jeep kj experts recoomend with this lift.

like i said i am a college student and i would like to add a lift in a budget friendly manner. i dont realy off road alot.. i just like the look of alifted KJ.

thanks guys for your help.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
First..welcome aboard!

Second..front extended bumpstops can be had by Terraflex.com I believe???
Actually here is a linky to bumpstops

http://www.trailquest.com/teraflex/KJ/suspension.shtml#bumpstop

As far as the Daystar goes, do what you can afford, most people that have them soon go to OME coils after a few months of noise...banging...creaking and groaning in the front end. :) But budget is always a factor too, coils would be better for sure.

Yeah replace the shocks for sure....what shocks are you going to get? Rancho seems to be popular with alot of people on here.

Oh yeah.....pics2.gif..... or your driving a Prius. nono.gif :p

Last edited:

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bumpstops should run about $25-30. You have to take the front strut assembly apart to use the Daystart kit..... at least replace them while you have it apart. The back will be strtched a bit, but you maybe able to use the stockers for a bit until youreplace them. You can also use rear shocks from a Durango so you can possibly get some cheaper brand that will work.

josh1984

Reaction score
The bumpstops should run about $25-30. You have to take the front strut assembly apart to use the Daystart kit..... at least replace them while you have it apart. The back will be strtched a bit, but you maybe able to use the stockers for a bit until youreplace them. You can also use rear shocks from a Durango so you can possibly get some cheaper brand that will work.

what is the part number for the durango shocks? would they work with the daystar/ 2003 liberty? and also might be a stupid question.. but only rear bumpstops aree need correct?

josh1984

Reaction score
First..welcome aboard!

Second..front extended bumpstops can be had by Terraflex.com I believe???
Actually here is a linky to bumpstops

http://www.trailquest.com/teraflex/KJ/suspension.shtml#bumpstop

As far as the Daystar goes, do what you can afford, most people that have them soon go to OME coils after a few months of noise...banging...creaking and groaning in the front end. :) But budget is always a factor too, coils would be better for sure.

Yeah replace the shocks for sure....what shocks are you going to get? Rancho seems to be popular with alot of people on here.

Oh yeah.....pics2.gif..... or your driving a Prius. nono.gif :p

you know the part number to the rancho shocks? are they expensive?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh
if you are a student then I hope to help you learn something
first cheep will always cost you more and in the Jeep world it cost a LOT more
I have "redone" the suspension on my TJ 3-4 times ,I think
every time spending more than the last
as far as the daystar kit goes ,and this is my .02
it is over priced
think of it like this
your KJ has 70K so the shocks and struts are done their cost is even
that leaves us with only the springs ,still with 70K on them
while they are still useable why not upgrade?
the cost to do so will only be $50 to $100 more than buying the Daystar kit
but when you buy the kit you will end up spending the $250 or so on springs any way
thus giving away the entire cost of the Daystar kit

Look at it like this
if you spend about $10 a day on food right now
you could spend $1 and eat nothing but Raman noodles for 2 weeks
saving $9 a day for 14 days is $126 so there are your springs right there

money for Jeep parts can always be found

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I will agree with Mr. Thompson but will fill you in some more , take a sheet of paper and write down the cost of the Daystar kit, now add front Rancho shocks
# RSX 17505 ( struts) at say 95 each , rear shocks say 70 each # RSX 17004 , now where are you, also front bump stops.

You know that stock springs and shocks are already pretty much gone at 35,000 to 40,000. Add the daystar and that puts more pressure on a already weakened spring, so 6 months you are back redoing it and putting in OME Medium # OME926 or Heavy Duty # OME 927 springs front and rear #OME 948s for 70 each , pay now or pay later.
Ride and handeling will be so much better, trust me. You have to tear it apart anyways, have to have an alignment so the only real extra money is two little springs.

Think about it for a while;)

Last edited:

josh1984

Reaction score
Josh
if you are a student then I hope to help you learn something
first cheep will always cost you more and in the Jeep world it cost a LOT more
I have "redone" the suspension on my TJ 3-4 times ,I think
every time spending more than the last
as far as the daystar kit goes ,and this is my .02
it is over priced
think of it like this
your KJ has 70K so the shocks and struts are done their cost is even
that leaves us with only the springs ,still with 70K on them
while they are still useable why not upgrade?
the cost to do so will only be $50 to $100 more than buying the Daystar kit
but when you buy the kit you will end up spending the $250 or so on springs any way
thus giving away the entire cost of the Daystar kit

Look at it like this
if you spend about $10 a day on food right now
you could spend $1 and eat nothing but Raman noodles for 2 weeks
saving $9 a day for 14 days is $126 so there are your springs right there

money for Jeep parts can always be found

thanks for all your help. def appriciat it.. but i was oging to go with the daystar lift because i have a gift card to 4wd.com...

i do not want to spend an arm and a leg... is this lift better form 4wd.com?...

• 2" Suspension System by 4Wheel Drive Hardware
  • 2002-07 Liberty KJ4 coil springs Front strut relocation bracket
  • Rear hydraulic shocks with boots
  • Won't work on Liberty with diesel engine
  • Max tire size: 30x9.50
$450.96

now the daystar is 159.99

i would only be spending 80 for that after taxes and shipping because of a gift card... on all All J Products... Rancho RSX17505 strut is 90... 180 for 2

Rancho RSX17004 shocks... 65... 130 for 2

so for the daystar lift, with new shocks and struts it is going to cost me around 390... that two much??

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
With the 4 wheel drive hardware kit there ar no front shocks included so add 180 onto the 450 , at that price you can have a GREAT lift with OME springs and rancho shocks ;)

Not really sure what shocks they include for the rear but if they are anything like what Rustys provide they are junk.

But you could sell the 4 WD card and take that to buy a good lift :D

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumpstops -
on an On the top type lift they keep the strut from bottoming out on the internals -
on a spacer or spring lift - they keep the springs from going metal to metal coil bind - (which kills the springs - causes sagging)

Quicksilversurf917

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I like my daystar lift.perfect10.gif Ive ran it for quite some time now and its been doing perfectly fine. The front sat way higher than the rear but thats only bc I have alot of junk in the trunk lol. But now I have OME HD in the rear and my daystar upfront and the rear finally almost sits level with the front, I need to add a few iso's. But I have done some hard wheeling with the daystar and it worked perfectly fine....I am slowly saving up for the front OME HD coils but that wont be for like another month.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a spacer lift when i first lifter my kj and hated every mile on it. with a 2003 your coils are most likely sagged and you wont get the lift you expect. especially when it comes to running bigger tires you'll want the better lift. I am 17 and also stretched for money. but i wish i had bought my OME HD coils that I have now in the first place.. makes such a difference and now My coils will outlive my engine. paid $200 for first spacer lift then another $395 for the OME HD/Rancho up front. (still have spacer in rear) and that's been fine for me. but then again I wheel my kj pretty hard. I'd say at least do OME/Rancho up front.

JMSMN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listen to tommudd he know his s%&t. I went with the HD OME in the front and a spacer in the rear for now. Even with just the new springs in the front the ride now is 1000 times better! Cant imagine what it would be like with new springs in the rear also. Take the time and save the money and do it right the first time, will not regret it one bit. On my 06', put lift on at 30000 miles and the front springs were completely shot. Edit: dont forget the ranchos

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanna ask a stupid question. Since we have IFS how/why would we need bumpstops if we don't have an axle acting as a lever to stuff the opposite tire.

Bump stops prevent a few things
a few I know for a fact the other I am still a little iffy on but it is easier to just go with the flow

The main job of the bump stops for a fact is
#1 keep the weight of the rig off of the shocks
shocks are not designed to hold the weight of the rig at full compression
and they will bend when you put 2000#+ on them
the second main reason is to keep your tires from rubbing at very full stuff

The one I dont full buy into is the spring stacking thing
maybe for 2 reasons
#1 I have never seen a spring that was longer than the shocks
#2 I have always installed proper bump stops for the lift I had at the time
based on tire size and shock length
in order to stack a spring you would need a spring that is longer than your shock which would then put you shock a full extension when it is at rest and leave you with no drop in your suspension which would be pointless

josh1984

Reaction score
Like this.
You must be registered for see images

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OP: If you only like the lifted look and want an easy install, why not get the Terraflex kit?

You can pop that in yourself, no taking apart of coilovers etc.

( Tom and J: please now don't hurt me, I am only trying to help the kid out. And yes I know it is an OTT lift but it comes with the extended bumpstops so it is save and works. )

what is the difference between the daystar lift and the terraflex kit???

josh1984

Reaction score
i know people are going to hate this.. but if i did go with the daystar... what shocks/ struts do i need and what other items are need for the lift. i want to order the stuff by the mid of next week. any suggestuons?

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front will physically bolt together with stock struts - the rear has to have the longer shocks.
Your Jeep will really appreciate Ranchos on both ends - that's probably the cheapest way to go.
and add the extended bumpstops to try and keep the front spring from killing themselves.
(although for a little more you could have gotten OME springs and it'll ride a lot better)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
i know people are going to hate this.. but if i did go with the daystar... what shocks/ struts do i need and what other items are need for the lift. i want to order the stuff by the mid of next week. any suggestuons?

ahhh maybe read the posts from me, on 9-14-09 at 10:29 PM I gave you the part numbers for the front and rear shocks plus OME springs if you wanted to go that route. Just remember your springs are already weak, this will not help them