Newbie All Around

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WheeledandAble

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to forums, new to mechanical, new to towing, new to KJs. I am looking to buy a 2002-2007 liberty limited, learn to set her up for towing a 6x12 enclosed V-nose trailer max GVWR of 3000lbs. You don't need my whole story, but I'm looking to do all this very quickly and start living out of the trailer full time. I've been at 5 dealerships this week looking at KJs and only driven 2 due to ableist crap and reached out to all the car people I know who have shot me down (again ableist crap). I may be Wheeled, but I am Able and I'm looking to keep my freedom. I have fallen in love with the KJ already and based on many posts here decided the KJ Limited is completely up to the job. I've been trying to read the posts here and everywhere to learn about hitches, wiring, HD cooling systems, etc., and learn the lingo. I'm ready to do all my homework and learn the skills needed to setup my Jeep for safe towing and maintain my KJ. I'm hoping to meet some friends who have real world advice along the way. Thanks in advance for your patience with this newbie.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some came with the towing package that would have everything you need i.e. wiring, hitch heavy duty cooling system. But of course you can add all of that as well. I have a 6X10 I have pulled all of the eastern part of the US without the HD cooling system. just hitch/ wiring etc.
Also you'll need to upgrade the suspension with heavier springs and shocks. KJs come with a terrible suspension brand new add a few years and a few miles and they have sagged anywhere from an inch to two inches.
OME springs and shocks would be a great upgrade

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you located? If you're going to be in NJ I can help/teach you how to work on it yourself.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome i just recently bought a 2002 on the private market for alot less than i was seeing at any dealers in illinois.