Newb Question - '05 RME

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just joined. Owned a few CJ's, a YJ, and a Cherokee. Looking at a used KJ, a '05 RME to be exact. Just realized why it doesn't have fog lights; it's a flat hood, which, the more I look at, the more Ilike it.:cool:

Here's my question; why? Why did they go to a flat hood, and how many models have it? What years? What parts are actually different from the "regular" KJ? Any pro's or con's?

One last question; other than badging and "Jeep" embroidered on the front seats, what else does the RME include?

Last edited:

bfaas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
certain renegades have flat hoods not sure on years... just because it's a flathood isn't why it doesn't have fogs..i've seen plenty of flat hoods with fog lights

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rene is just their more "********" model you could say, few more bells and whistles then the base model kj's. Just made to look like more of the offroading version of a KJ

dnm45227

Reaction score
at some point (at least '05) the renegades got the flat hoods and the bumper mounted fogs, which i really prefer to the imbedded bumper or grill fogs. i also like the flat hood more as well.

as for the lack of fogs, either it didn't come with them or someone took them off. does it have any evidence of bolt holes on top of the bumper in front of the grill, maybe less oxidation like there was something covering that section?

you could always ask the owner to show you the build sheet, which can be obtained from jeep.com (do a search on the site and you'll find a thread with a link).

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 05 Rennegades that I see anyways, have the squaired hood and off-road lights on top. (the off road lights could have been deleted at the factory) Not sure about the bumper mounted fog lights as I have seen them with and without. They have the fenders with the rivets on the outside. They should have the off-road package which includes skids and hooks and trac-lock (not sure now if anything elce) .

As noted, go to any jeep dealer and ask for a build sheet. You need to give the dealer the last 8 # of your vin. They'll print it right off their computer. It takes 30 seconds and it's free. It will tell you exactly what options it had when it left the factory. You can get one on the jeep website (takes longer).

Dave

RamSport47

Reaction score
I've never seen one with a flat hood...anyone have pics? I'm curious to see how that melds with the radically sculpted grill

OldBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RME = Rocky Mountain Edition?

Yes

I found the original window sticker in it when I took it for a test drive. The RME has a fog delete and a tow hook delete(!!!). I can live w/o the fogs, but why the he[] they would delete the tow hooks is beyond me. They were "included" (ex-cluded?) w/ the RME package.

Last edited:

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '05 Ltd is the last KJ to have the "winky" hood. All other models in '05 had the flat hood, and all models since, I do believe. Too bad the Ltd doesn't have the nicer bumper of the '01'-04s, too.

AbsoluteRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '05 Ltd is the last KJ to have the "winky" hood. All other models in '05 had the flat hood, and all models since, I do believe. Too bad the Ltd doesn't have the nicer bumper of the '01'-04s, too.

no, only the renegade and rocky mountain, and maybe the freedom edition have the hood that is flat and resembles the wrangler, the sports do not not even the 07's. the wrangler style hood is what sold me on the renegade. If you look at my avitar thats a renegade flat hood. The rene and the freedom edition have the rivet style fenders, not sure about the rme. im personally not a fan of the old style bumper with the directional in it, i like the fender mount direction, like the wranglers (wrangler fan ha ha) I'm actually building a bumper that looks like a wranglers now, so from the front, i'll be a wrangler copycat. also the rene came with a bigger alternator probably to run the excess lights.

OldBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The RME does NOT have the rivets in the fender flares. Looks like the attached pic. Kinda like a LTD, w/o some of the bling. Probably explains the lack of fogs & tow hooks. The RME option was only $435, and included the power sunroof, painted flares, etc.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

OldBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I bought it! I'm now a proud KJ owner. Get ready for the barage of questions! Here's what it looks like:

Attachments

• IMG_1334a.jpg
    IMG_1334a.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 25

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The one thing I can't stand about the '05 RME... it's BEGGING for fog lights!!!!! It's basically a Renegade with the Fog Light and Tow Hook delete. (and the decal... and the rock rails.... and the fender flares.... I could keep going...)

OldBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right; Renegade minus fogs, roof lights, & tow hooks. It's got the flares, they're just body colored minus the "rivets". I like the look w/o the bumper-mount fogs, but the one thing that I just don't get is the tow hook delete..............:confused:

Other than that, I love it! I wanted to put the grille-mounted fog lights on it, but the radiator support doesn't have the mounting locations for it. Would have been easy to modify the grill cover, but without the radiator support mounting spots, it's a no-go. Maybe I can find a small set to mount somewhere..........;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online