New Turbo Sound...with scraping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jim_87

Reaction score
I have been reading about compressor surge, and I am positive, that it is happening to my turbo during moderate acceleration. Mixed in with the "flutter" sound is a slight metallic scraping noise:icon_exclaim:. Could the surge be causing the turbine to be off center and scraping the housing? I have checked the oil this week and it is fine, just dirty, time for a oil change. I also did the tailpipe "finger sweep" and it is sooty, but dry, and no oil present. I plan on checking the turbine shaft play asap. Any thought, or tips?

Thanks.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been reading about compressor surge, and I am positive, that it is happening to my turbo during moderate acceleration. Mixed in with the "flutter" sound is a slight metallic scraping noise:icon_exclaim:. Could the surge be causing the turbine to be off center and scraping the housing? I have checked the oil this week and it is fine, just dirty, time for a oil change. I also did the tailpipe "finger sweep" and it is sooty, but dry, and no oil present. I plan on checking the turbine shaft play asap. Any thought, or tips?

Thanks.

Best to go to lostjeeps for CRD questions:emotions33:

Slims

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the shaft and oil again when you change it for shavings or Debris.

Members online

No members online now.