new toys have arrived

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patbluejeep

Reaction score
:) well everything is here! i got the rockfather II kit, hella 500s, and i plan on painting the stock silver wheels black. I plan on doing all of this this weekend. If anyone has any tips or oppinions before i get started they would be much appreciated. I will post before and after pics once I am done.:D

matthewheld

Reaction score
I'm installing my OME kit right now. It's 12am and I've done the back and the passenger front. Took me less than an hour to install the rear suspension, OME shocks and springs. It definitely is a must to detach the rear sway bar! I installed the spring and mounted the top mount of the shock, then went to the other side and had a friend stand on the hub to lower the rear enough to install the other spring. Then I used a floor jack to lift the differential enough so that both bottom shock mounts lined-up.

However, the front took some time. I decided not to detach the upper and lower control arms, and instead detach the sway bar and disconnect the brake line, and pry the strut assembly out. I used spring compressors to remove/replace the strut/springs.

Spring compressors just seem like flirting with disaster, don't they. I used an electric impact to turn the spring compressors (wouldn't do it any other way).
Don't forget the shroud that comes with the new strut and goes between the strut and the rubber spring seat like I did.#-o

Well, I just came in to get out of my cold garage. I'm going back to work. I have the driver's side suspension and a Skid Row front skid plate to install.

On my way to Death Valley Friday (today) morning. Doing the Lipencot trail.
Have fun.

Last edited:

patbluejeep

Reaction score
thanks for the headsup on the sway bar! ill make sure to wet sand the wheels too

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
NO NEED to take off the rear sway bar, WHY ??? have done 4 KJ lifts so far and never did, just use your jack between the frame and the brake rotor, and thats it, very easy for one person to do

hbogan

Reaction score
:) well everything is here! i got the rockfather II kit, hella 500s, and i plan on painting the stock silver wheels black. I plan on doing all of this this weekend. If anyone has any tips or oppinions before i get started they would be much appreciated. I will post before and after pics once I am done.:D

Pat, what primer/paint did you use for your wheels? I would also like to paint the stock wheels black on my Libby for the black on black look.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, Ive never had to take the rear sway bar off either. I use the stock jack between the control arm and the frame.

Just be sure to take the jack out before jacking up the Jeep by the axle! I left that poor scissor jack in there and bent it in half. Needed a better jack anyway. :)

patbluejeep

Reaction score
Pat, what primer/paint did you use for your wheels? I would also like to paint the stock wheels black on my Libby for the black on black look.

im just using a grey sandable primer and then black wheel pain out of a can. It seems to work real well on some other cars i have done this too.

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the headsup on the sway bar! ill make sure to wet sand the wheels too

Ever try to sand contours and crevases with sand paper?
Much eaiser to use some #000 steel wool to get the gloss off so the paint is dull, wipe clean with alcohol or brake cleaner, shoot with Blk. primer and then shoot with blk. gloss.

matthewheld

Reaction score
NO NEED to take off the rear sway bar, WHY ??? have done 4 KJ lifts so far and never did, just use your jack between the frame and the brake rotor, and thats it, very easy for one person to do

It's true, you can use a jack between the frame and brake rotor, and you'll accomplish the same result. But if you detach the sway bar - 2 bolts on either side, which are easily accessible - you can install one side just be pushing down on the axle. The other side you have someone stand on the brake rotor while you install the spring, or you could use a jack like tommudd. If I were to do the rear again, I'd do it the same way. It's a matter of 'mechanic preference.'

I used the compressors successfully for the front, but ran into two problems. First was the issue of where and in what direction to use the compressors on the spring. I had the top plate interfere with accessing the compressor hex head. I already had the spring compressed, and the top plate on and tightened before realizing I was going to have a problem getting the compressors off. I loosened them as much as possible with a GearWrench, then knocked them over to clear the top plate and used the socket/impact to finish. I got lucky the first time, but ran into the problem on the other side.

Second was the issue of the top dust cover for the strut - I left mine out. Not for any reason other than the spring compressors left no room for the covers to be installed. So, I have front struts without protective covers. I feel the covers are important enough that I will have the front wheel bearings serviced at the dealership, and have then also remove the struts and install the covers. I know it was stupid to leave the covers off, but I was going to Death Valley Friday, dammit - and I already had everything apart and the rear lift completed!

I was against the clock for my Death Valley trip, so I used the compressors to install the struts. However, I recommend having a shop do it. I'm usually a pretty safety-conscience mechanic, but using the compressors just felt too unsafe for me. I did it because I wanted it done NOW - but I will be very reluctant to use spring compressors for this again.

patbluejeep

Reaction score
It's true, you can use a jack between the frame and brake rotor, and you'll accomplish the same result. But if you detach the sway bar - 2 bolts on either side, which are easily accessible - you can install one side just be pushing down on the axle. The other side you have someone stand on the brake rotor while you install the spring, or you could use a jack like tommudd. If I were to do the rear again, I'd do it the same way. It's a matter of 'mechanic preference.'

I used the compressors successfully for the front, but ran into two problems. First was the issue of where and in what direction to use the compressors on the spring. I had the top plate interfere with accessing the compressor hex head. I already had the spring compressed, and the top plate on and tightened before realizing I was going to have a problem getting the compressors off. I loosened them as much as possible with a GearWrench, then knocked them over to clear the top plate and used the socket/impact to finish. I got lucky the first time, but ran into the problem on the other side.

Second was the issue of the top dust cover for the strut - I left mine out. Not for any reason other than the spring compressors left no room for the covers to be installed. So, I have front struts without protective covers. I feel the covers are important enough that I will have the front wheel bearings serviced at the dealership, and have then also remove the struts and install the covers. I know it was stupid to leave the covers off, but I was going to Death Valley Friday, dammit - and I already had everything apart and the rear lift completed!

I was against the clock for my Death Valley trip, so I used the compressors to install the struts. However, I recommend having a shop do it. I'm usually a pretty safety-conscience mechanic, but using the compressors just felt too unsafe for me. I did it because I wanted it done NOW - but I will be very reluctant to use spring compressors for this again.

i actually ran into all of the same problems as you did but went about them a little differently. to get the damn compressors back off once the new strut was assembled i just completly took the screw out of the two hooks. then you could just wiggle them and they came right out. i was also able to get my covers to slide on but it took some serious trickery. lol. the back was super easy. the only thing im concerned with is that the new shocks do not have covers for them. the rod is just exposed so i am not sure if i didnt have all the parts or not.

everything seems to have worked out great. it rides real smooth and took some decent sized ditches and muddy hills tonight. i have a couple things i wanna double check. the black wheels look real good too. thanks for taking the time to write everything and all the advice.

matthewheld

Reaction score
i was also able to get my covers to slide on but it took some serious trickery. lol. the back was super easy. the only thing im concerned with is that the new shocks do not have covers for them. the rod is just exposed so i am not sure if i didnt have all the parts or not.

Congratulations on your install! It's still fresh in my mind, so I can relate. So, your rear shocks don't have covers? My concern is the rod getting knicks/scratches from rocks/debris from the tires, and causing leaks at the seal. My OME shocks have the standard metal covers, but if they were bare, I would try to find some after-market rubber boots. I really don't know how much concern we should have for the exposed shaft, but I think there's an increased chance of seal failure. I just spend $700.00 on my suspension kit, so I want it do last as long as possible.

Also, did you remove the upper/lower control arms to remove the strut?

patbluejeep

Reaction score
yea i will have to look for some covers. ihave the same concerns for knicks and such. Do you know where a good place would be to buy some from?

no i didnt take the upper or lower control arm off. i just undid the upper ball joint then took the fork off of the strut. once that came off i was able slide the whole assembly out and did the whole compressor dibockle. once the new assembly was ready it just all slid right back into place.

matthewheld

Reaction score
I don't know of a good supplier of shock boots.

But I'm glad you didn't remove the control arms. I only found one 'how to' post on the installation of a KJ lift kit, and the guy had you removing the upper/lower control arms, and then getting a front-end alignment afterwards.

I knew there had to be a better way. I was actually typing up my own 'how-to' instructions. Where did you get your info from - just the board answers?

Anyways, I just got back from Death Valley, and I love the new suspension. I couldn't do the Lippencot trail because it was closed, but I took a couple of others with no problems, and 4 people in the KJ.

patbluejeep

Reaction score
well i am not to familiar with any trails bc i am new to this whole jeep thing but i bet death valley was a blast.
i love the kit that we installed. i took her( the jeep) through some minor trails last night and it was an awesome ride. i just used my general car knowledge from other things i have worked on. The jeep is my girlfriends and i have always been a honda person. this was my first jeep and my first lift. I was going to do a write up with pictures but i got so frustrated starting out i just forgot.

Latest posts

Members online