New Tow Hooks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dougmac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
604KJ hooked me up with a set of tow hooks. They are on and look awesome!!

Thanks Buddy!!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those standard 1 1/4" or 2" receivers?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
They look good. Nice Jeep.

Dave

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! I used them only once, as an anchor point for some rappelling lol. They look way cooler than the stock tow hooks, these you cannot buy :)

dougmac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! I used them only once, as an anchor point for some rappelling lol. They look way cooler than the stock tow hooks, these you cannot buy :)

Yes, they do look much better than the stock ones!! I promise to take good care of them! :)

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question...

Be careful with any angled pulling. They'll rip out of the unibody very easily

WickedBruce, I have OEM stock hooks (same as on Renegade). How susceptible are they to rip out of the unibody? How do you use them to keep from damaging the unibody? I have never used them so need to know how to do so properly. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Dougmac, love the look of your hooks and your liberty. Well done!

Last edited:

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WickedBruce, I have OEM stock hooks (same as on Renegade). How susceptible are they to rip out of the unibody? How do you use them to keep from damaging the unibody? I have never used them so need to know how to do so properly. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Just as susceptible as the OP. Because they both utilize the same mounting locations. You've got two outboard bolts, and one inboard bolt on each mount. That inboard bolt is the one that'll rip out. So for example, if you need to be pulled forward and to the right...don't put your strap on the right hook. Put it on the left, and get a smaller angle. But even some straight on snatching will pull them out. Plus, you shouldn't be snatching in the first place.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:emotions33:You could do like some dumbarses I've had in the shop,,,,,, attach to tie rod assy, and jerk the piss out of it.:emotions33:

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I never used just one hook unless it was a very straight and easy pull, otherwise I always looped the strap through both hooks.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow hook location

Sounds like tow hooks on a Liberty are not robust. I see where they are mounted and the mounting points don't look too strong. If one has to put a serious pull on a Liberty to get it unstuck, where else can tow ropes be attached? Is there another stronger tow point than the unibody rail tow hook location? Now I wonder if installing the OEM tow hooks is worth the effort. Please share your experience if you have tow hooks as to their usefulness.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like tow hooks on a Liberty are not robust. I see where they are mounted and the mounting points don't look too strong. If one has to put a serious pull on a Liberty to get it unstuck, where else can tow ropes be attached? Is there another stronger tow point than the unibody rail tow hook location? Now I wonder if installing the OEM tow hooks is worth the effort. Please share your experience if you have tow hooks as to their usefulness.

Tie rod assy! :happy175:

Seriously, if you attach a triangular pull to both front hooks and still pull the hooks out by the roots, that'll be the least of your worries.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If I had to run stock type hooks I would first build a bar running side to side, bolting not only into the rail on each side but also into the cross member below the radiator. Attach hooks through it then into the frame horns. ( much the same way an ARB attaches)
Then you'd have the load spread out over a wider area and ( almost ) no chance of every tearing them out.
I have plans drawn up for such a mount, but like my front bumper, lack of $$ to produce :emotions34:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tie rod assy! :happy175:

Seriously, if you attach a triangular pull to both front hooks and still pull the hooks out by the roots, that'll be the least of your worries.

Bob

Wouldn't be as bad as the phone call I got one night to go help this kid out of a field. They had a log chain running through the slots in both front wheels since no hooks on the front. he said "I knew you'd give me he** if I hooked to the steering linkage so this was the next best thing " :shrug::favorites68::ROFLJest:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't be as bad as the phone call I got one night to go help this kid out of a field. They had a log chain running through the slots in both front wheels since no hooks on the front. he said "I knew you'd give me he** if I hooked to the steering linkage so this was the next best thing " :shrug::favorites68::ROFLJest:

Yes, they are out there. Scary part is they vote and BREED.

Bob