new to the liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigmd

Reaction score
ok guys i just trade in my 02 mustang gt for a white 02 liberty with a 3.7.so far i love it.already put a hitch on to tow the quad.im going to change the oil and filter but would like to know what other maintenace is required.im the 3rd owner and it has 39000 miles on it.plugs?fuel filter?like i said im new and never owned a jeep before.thanks in advance.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, run your VIN at your local Dealership to make sure that *ALL* recalls have been performed. Did you get the xtended warranty? You should be able to run your VIN on www.jeep.com as well.

Your TSB's (Technical Service Bulletiens) should also be covered, but don't quote me on that one.

2003KJ

Reaction score
You can save yourself an extra trip to the dealer and run the last 7 digits of your VIN on Jeep's website and see if any recalls need to be done. clicky here

As far as maint. goes, plugs would be a good idea. I changed mine at 27K and much to my surprise they looked alot more worn out than a regular plug should at that milage.

For the oil change, spend the $$$ and get some Mobil 1 Synthetic...your Jeep will be much happier and will thank you for it. And don't get a Fram filter as they're garbage (I use Napa GOLD and have had no troubles at all with them).

You might also consider doing a front and rear differential fluid change (very easy to do your self).

Other than that, 39,000 isn't really all that many miles, so there shouldn't (and i emphasize shouldn't) be anything major that needs to be done to it. Definately look into the balljoints though. And even if they've been replaced per the recall, it might be time to replace them again, as chrysler is just sticking the same crappy part back in there when doing the recall work.

Other than that, Happy Jeepin and welcome to the site! \:D/

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
And don't get a Fram filter as they're garbage (I use Napa GOLD and have had no troubles at all with them).

Whoa why is fram bad? I get the extended guard and they seem pretty good.

bigmd

Reaction score
thanksguys i just checked the web site and there are no current or unperformed recalls..i dont feel any vibrations when i drive.what about airfilter?besides a k&n,what should i use?

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's why Fram oil Filters suck

http://wiggs.iskewl.org/filters/
The Fram filter was the ONLY one to use cardboard as the caps to the filter. I can only wonder what really happens when the cardboard becomes super saturated with oil.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glaurick said:
here's why Fram oil Filters suck

http://wiggs.iskewl.org/filters/
The Fram filter was the ONLY one to use cardboard as the caps to the filter. I can only wonder what really happens when the cardboard becomes super saturated with oil.

Ouch...

Hey, whats that glowing over there? Those looks like hot coals...

Oh I see; they are leftover from the huge fireball that just BURNED Bennett.

LOL

But seriously, I'm pretty suprised. I thought Fram was decent, but low and behold they suck. Even the brands I've never heard of had better constructed filters. I'll never touch Fram again.

Latest posts

Members online