New to me 2004 KJ Columbia Edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys im buying my first KJ next month from a family member. He has taken good care of it and is the second owner (owned since 2008). Only has 75000 miles and recently went to the shop for a bumper to bumper check. Had the idler pulley replaced? (squeaking), new O2 sensor (CEL when cold), and transmission serviced again (****** pan had rusted through and was leaking). He already had the lower rear control arms replaced under recall as well. Everything else checked out good even though ive never heard of a transmission pan rusting out until now. The rest of the underside looked pretty good and was primarily rust free so who knows why or how that happened. I will need to address two issues w/ the power windows and fix the rear defroster connection once i get it though. Driver window gets to the top and keeps clicking and passenger rear is VERY slow, sometimes stopping during use. The defroster tab looks to have just come unglued(?) from the window but i saw kits online to correct this. Ive also read the window issues are common though and aren't real expensive to buy new regulators and replace. My question is what else do i need to know about these Jeeps? A coworker told me to stay away because they have lots of problems. Of course he is a Wranger guy and has one of "those" attitudes where nothing is as good as his. Both my mother and my wife have owned 2004 Grand Cherokees that turned out to be great SUV's. Mom still has hers and my neighbor bought my wife's a few years ago and still drives it. Also see alot of high mileage KJ's on craigslist around here so its obvious people drive the snot out of them. Any hidden issues or area's of concern i should look at that may not have already been discovered by my cousin or the mechanic? Im pretty excited to get her, a very sharp looking SUV that i am getting for an amazing price.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Window issues are mainly later models than the 04
Nothing wrong with KJs as long as maintenance is kept up on them.
I bought my 04 new and it rolled over 209,000 today purring along with a fully loaded 6 X 10 enclosed trailer :icon_lol:

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
75k? thats practically new... i have 04 columbia too! 297k+ miles. no engine issues. just keep an eye on yer fluids. windows are easy to fix. only 1 went on me and that was after 285k+ while trying to open the window when covered in ice. im no mechanic but everything has been easy to fix.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats good news to hear! It will be my winter vehicle/semi daily driver for now. Maybe in time she will get some custom treatment as well. Excited to get her.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warning once you get the Jeep bug the mods don't stop. Just saying!

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i realize the KJ isnt as easy to customize or capable as some other jeeps on the same budget but someday i hope to own an old CJ or Wrangler and do a really crazy setup. For not a nice street cruiser capable of still getting me around in snow or to my favorite hunting spot is all i really need.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
well i realize the KJ isnt as easy to customize or capable as some other jeeps on the same budget but someday i hope to own an old CJ or Wrangler and do a really crazy setup. For not a nice street cruiser capable of still getting me around in snow or to my favorite hunting spot is all i really need.

I've built a bunch of cars/trucks/4X4s and I think the KJs are just as easy to build as any other. Sure you don't walk into your local 4X4 shop and point things out, throw your credit card down and drive away with it done, but there is a lot you can do. I've owned CJs/YJs/XJs etc and I'd still keep my KJ over any of them when it comes to an all around vehicle.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice to know. There is a wrangler guy at work who talks down about the liberty saying its not a "real" jeep and Chrysler junk.... i think its a pretty nice little suv myself...

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya don't listen to him. I got stuck in the mud trench just as far as the rest of the non-extreme wrangler guys haha

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya there always is the Wrangler Guys who cry KJ's suck..until they get Help & unstuck by a KJ.
Fact is with independent front suspension they ride very smooth especially once they are lifted with new suspension. I personally think they are the best Jeeps ever made.
I also like the good following of aftermarket accessories & support for them....that is where the wallet empties..LOL
Now excuse me but I need to light a smoke ...:icon_lol:
50718[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• JeepFlameThrower.jpg
    JeepFlameThrower.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 0

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So im learning that this isnt some sort of wimpy car crossover SUV. This Jeep is a rear Jeep it seems. I never gave the KJ a second look to be honest until my cousin mentioned trading his in. The more i read the more i like. Im real excited to get her. Loan approved, just waiting on him to find something he likes then she's mine!

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the liberty is the a true jeep because it is still made in toledo ohio actually on the same site as where the wranglers are built. Only a true jeep is made in toledo where it all began.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool to see someone in my neck of the woods.

How did you get the lower control arms replaced in ky? Mine have holes rusted in then but ky isnt covered under the recall.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the recall as i read it is for salt belt based or ORIGINATED vehicles. Now that being said i live in ashland ky which is the tristate of Ky, Wv, and Oh. My cousin (who i am buying the jeep) still lives across the river in WV and had them replaced before i even knew the jeep was going to be sold. He actually still has it, I dont take ownership till end of Nov. Just waiting for him to find the truck he wants then she is all mine. Any chance your vehicle ever spent any life in a salt state?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, unfortunately it was sold in ky and has always been here. One of my lower arms has a few holes in it also. Rusted from the inside out just like my rockers are doing, the outside is still painted perfectly.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So im learning that this isnt some sort of wimpy car crossover SUV. This Jeep is a rear Jeep it seems. I never gave the KJ a second look to be honest until my cousin mentioned trading his in. The more i read the more i like. Im real excited to get her. Loan approved, just waiting on him to find something he likes then she's mine!

i didnt like the liberty at first and was like ugh theres another one. at the time i wanted an xterra and was about to sign the paper but ended up walking out the dealership cause the sales staff had my head spinning. ended up going to jeep and bought the liberty i test drove. for the same price i got the liberty with power everything where the xterra i had to do everything by hand... plus i got a "free" columbia jacket, polar fleece jacket insert and polar fleece vest insert.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt like the liberty at first and was like ugh theres another one. at the time i wanted an xterra and was about to sign the paper but ended up walking out the dealership cause the sales staff had my head spinning. ended up going to jeep and bought the liberty i test drove. for the same price i got the liberty with power everything where the xterra i had to do everything by hand... plus i got a "free" columbia jacket, polar fleece jacket insert and polar fleece vest insert.

Score on the free clothing goods.:favorites13: