New to me 2002 - maintenance questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsscoggins

Reaction score
We just picked up a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 with a 3.7L mated to a 5 speed transmission. It has 74k miles on it and in great shape. This will be my teenage boys first vehicle once he learns to drive a manual.

We have big plans to do a lift and add tires plus upgrade the stereo from the OEM tape deck but first we need to change the fluids. We have a stack of receipts from the original owner which show plenty of oil changes but no differential or transmission or transfer case fluid change.

The owners manual say 75w-140 for the front and rear diff. Any recommendation on fluids ( yeah - this is not an oil thread…). In the owners manual it shows only 1 front diff option (186 FBI)but shows 4 options for the rear - rear (194 RBI), rear (8 1/4), rear (194 RBI with Trac lok ), and rear (8 1/4 with trac lok). How do I know which one I have as the fluid volume is different and the trac lok one require friction modifier as well.

The manual trans doesn’t list a fluid capacity in the owners manual - anyone know how much? It also says Mopar manual trans fluid - any one using something else?

Thanks in advance!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For the diffs, especially in Texas, a dino 85w140 would be great. Run it front and rear. I run that up here too. For diffs, dino sticks to the gears better than synthetic. For the diffs, just fill them to slightly below the fill hole. I think you'd need about 2 bottles for the front (just under IIRC) and then about 3 for the rear. Your build sheet should say if you have Tracloc, if you don't have tow hooks or skids from the factory you don't have it 99% chance of that. A lot of gear oils already have it mixed in anyway.

Not sure about the manual trans, maybe one of the DIY shifters will see this. Mine's a slushbox.

I'd also flush the coolant out, use HOAT coolant only, like Zerex G05, most autopart stores have it, no universal/prestone crap. Don't use the petcock on the radiator, chances are it'll break and you'll have to replace the radiator.

Do PS fluid too. Just take a turkey baster and suck it out of the reservoir, fill with ATF+4, drive a few days and repeat till it's clean.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most Jeep sites only recommend 8W140 for extreme use for the diffs but definitely dino oil. The clutch reservoir can be topped up with fluid but there is no drain plug....I used a Turkey Baster to suck the reservoir dry....fill up and repeat every so often.

My Export 2002 CRD has a sticker on the rear axle stating "4.10 Trac Loc"" so while replacing the diff oil I added the Mopar friction modifier.

The early 2002 KJs used Mopar clear fluid for the power steering...later changed to the red ATF +4 fluid so do not mix the two.....I am still on the Mopar fluid.

The rear diff requires that the diff plate be removed...clean out the diff and re-fit the plate with a good sealant.

Download the 2002 KJ Service Manual here....gives you the fluids details and how to do the work:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for a can of right stuff. It's "the right stuff" and seals everything nice and quick. Easy to remov too

rsscoggins

Reaction score
Okay so the manual says 75W140 synthetic in the front. You guys are saying dino oil - which should I run?

Rear says 75W90 for rear but 75W140 for towing or severe use. It won't tow much if anything and won't see severe use but any harm in running the heavier oil down here in Texas?

The dino or Synthetic question would apply here too...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dino 85w140, pick whatever brand and change it every 20k-30k. I change mine every other year.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay so the manual says 75W140 synthetic in the front. You guys are saying dino oil - which should I run?

Rear says 75W90 for rear but 75W140 for towing or severe use. It won't tow much if anything and won't see severe use but any harm in running the heavier oil down here in Texas?

The dino or Synthetic question would apply here too...

DINO only and I run 85-140 here in the cold outreaches of Ohio so Texas would be no problem