New to jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simpleysober

Reaction score
I just bought a 2003 jeep libery sport 3.7 v6 my part time light keeps coming on and also i need to know how much rear differential fluid it needs

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board! Im sorry i cant help with the part time light, as i have a manual transfer case jeep. But i did find this link for you if it helps - https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t7034_ds959522

And as to the Diff oil, I got away with getting 3 quart bottles and having half of the last bottle. Make sure if you have a locking rear end you get a friction modifier.

There is a switch on top of the transfer case that sometimes gets ‘stuck’ in the wrong place and shows you are in a different position.

Eventually, the switch needs to be replaced.
Quick and dirty fix that might work.
Find a mostly level spot to work.
You need to be able to drift a short distance safely.

Start in neutral. Foot on brake.

cycle your transfer case lever thru the ranges while still. End in 4lo.

shift to reverse.
Foot off brake.
Get rolling and shift neutral. Move tc shift up to n, 4hi, 2wd. Stop.

repeat the other way - drive 2wd get rolling, neutral, cycle thru 4hi, neut, 4lo.

stop.

Do 1st part again, from 4lo thru 2wd while rolling.

sounds cpmplicated but with transmission in neutral, easy to control.

this has reset the light for me a few times. Eventually, i will change the switch, but hey, $70 bucks is 2 tanks of gas!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

JeepCat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE = "Simpleysober, post: 766127, member: 31288"] Acabo de comprar un jeep libery sport 3.7 v6 2003 mi luz de medio tiempo sigue encendiéndose[/ QUOTE]

They are possibly correct in the answers above, but sometimes the transmission doesn't disconnect the front differential and the light stays on.
To disengage, park your Jeep, move the lever to 2wd and position the steering wheel of the Jeep in a straight line, engage reverse gear and run a few meters, stop and drive forward, the differential is free and the warning light goes out.
This can happen when driving on a little slippery pavement, or drive many hours in part time, full time or 4low the whole transmission is stressed and a little stiff.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online