new to forum and a small question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chezck

Reaction score
and i have a question, i dont even know if i am posting in the right place... i just got a jeep liberty 2002 renegade, it started to idle hard for like 3 days, is there any way to adjust the idle on the liberty? thanks

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its all controlled but the PCM.. Probably time for a spark plug change.. Or maybe the intake needs a drink of seafoam.. How many miles are on it?

deknight

Reaction score
I think I may have to same problem, and I think its the spark plugs, vacuum leak, or something is clogged... like pcv valve. Just don't buy champion spark plugs.

2003KJ

Reaction score
If it's got a decent amount of miles on it with the stock plugs, i'd definitely start there.

Mine were shot at 25K.

BMF454

Reaction score
My mechanic told me to use only champion spark plugs, I see you guys don't like them, what are the best kind to buy? I'm interested in the new E3 plugs, anybody tried those yet?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mechanic told me to use only champion spark plugs, I see you guys don't like them, what are the best kind to buy? I'm interested in the new E3 plugs, anybody tried those yet?

It's not that I don't like them, it's that they just don't work well with the vehicle. I had them in for a couple months and had bad idles. I replaced them with the Bosch Plats and it runs great. The Bosch Plats were the plugs I used to replace the stock plugs the 1st time, then Champion, but back to Bosch.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's get this straight. the stock plugs are NGK right? if you want it to run like it did when it was new, get the NGKs. Or am I wrong. I've heard Bosch plugs stink as well as the champions. What plugs does jparts.com give you in their selection? I think you are wasting your money if you get anything other than what was in it when it was new. ...for plugs anyway.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's get this straight. the stock plugs are NGK right? if you want it to run like it did when it was new, get the NGKs. Or am I wrong. I've heard Bosch plugs stink as well as the champions. What plugs does jparts.com give you in their selection? I think you are wasting your money if you get anything other than what was in it when it was new. ...for plugs anyway.

Your vehicle will never run like it did when it was new. I don't think it's a waste of money if you do your research correctly and analyze the results. Some people feel safe not to move away from the norm (OE) but others see and want the benefits of doing so. It's all in the eyes of the owner.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
lol. Champion plugs are worse than the factory NGKs. I can't believe that's the dealership replacement. Glad I do all the tune ups around here.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
and i have a question, i dont even know if i am posting in the right place... i just got a jeep liberty 2002 renegade, it started to idle hard for like 3 days, is there any way to adjust the idle on the liberty? thanks

How many miles are on it? It's an 02 and you just got it so unless you know (service records) when the plugs were changed last, it wouldn't hurt to change them. But.......first I would check for a vacume leak which could cause a rough idle as it is the easiest thing to check and cheapest to fix. I would also run a bottle of seafoam (like jeepster said) or Techron Fuel System Cleaner through it. Also change the plugs. Pull the easiest one -left bank #1 and look at it. NGK's are stock. Check the plug color and gap. Mine is still running the stock plugs at 22,000 miles and running fine. (so far-fingers crossed)........ Some people here are running the Bosch Platinum's with good results. You could try those. Also a faulty coil pack could cause a rough idle. That's all I can think of right now. Just trying to help.

Dave

chezck

Reaction score
lol i totally loose this page so i couldnt get the answer to my problem... is kinda funny i was looking everywhere and i finally found it again... the truck has 85000 miles and one mechanic told me that it could be only the throttle bodies since the check engine light is not comming on... he told me thats nothing and that he could do it for free... i will let you know as soon as he sees it... thank you for the answers

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol i totally loose this page so i couldnt get the answer to my problem... is kinda funny i was looking everywhere and i finally found it again... the truck has 85000 miles and one mechanic told me that it could be only the throttle bodies since the check engine light is not comming on... he told me thats nothing and that he could do it for free... i will let you know as soon as he sees it... thank you for the answers
With 85,000 miles probally time for a air filter change,fuel filter change,plugs,and a good fuel system cleaning.Those are the biggest causes of rough idleing.The IAC(Idle Air Control) in the throttle body only controls at what rpm the idle is at,it could be dirty though and needs cleaning.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IAC(Idle Air Control) in the throttle body only controls at what rpm the idle is at,it could be dirty though and needs cleaning.

True!! A speck of dust on the IAC could lead the system to idle rougher. Fiancee's vehicle had that problem and it turned out to be a dirty IAC.