New to formum. Suspension problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marronea

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just purchased my first Jeep. It's a 2002 Liberty Sport 4x4 with 40k miles. Everything seems to be fine except for a suspension problem. (Or at least that's what it feels like to me.) It seems to happen mostly as higher speeds above 65 mph. I live in Germany so driving at faster speeds is common. Anyway as I'm driving even the slightest movement of the steering wheel cause the vehicle to bounce around a lot. THe front end starts to bounce from left to right in a smooth motion. Now I purchased the vehicle "as is" and I can tell you the vehicle still has the origonal tires on it. I'm not sure if the shock/struts have ever been replaced. Does this problem sound like something serious? Or should I just get new tires, struts, allignment and wheel balancing?!

Thanks,
Andrew

kolesy

Reaction score
Sounds like it is the struts to me. Thats what happens when they go. The front end seems to just "float".

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kolesy said:
Sounds like it is the struts to me. Thats what happens when they go. The front end seems to just "float".

I agree. I used to bob up and down the whole way on the intrastate.

marronea

Reaction score
kolesy said:

Yea thats what is seems to do. Any idea of a company online site that will ship to Germany?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine floats around 70-75mph. If I have a boat on there its REALLY bad around 70mph. I have the OME front shocks.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

It sounds a bit soon, but yes, have your struts checked. My '04 seems good and tight at 75 mph. I can see at high speeds that this would be more of an issue. Let us know what you find out.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the only difference the speed will make, is because slight turning at high speed shifts a lot of weight.

It should be equally noticable at low speed when going over any decent sized bumps.