new tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lissaleigh919

Reaction score
My girlfriend owns a 2003 liberty. (I created an account for her) She just bought it a few months back. We are both new to the Jeep world. She has the liberty and I have a Wrangler Rubicon. Anyway her Libby has 39,000 miles on it and the tires are horrible. She lost control tonight in the rain and slid off the road. I think it is time for new tires. Can anyone suggest a good tire? She does NO off-roading, but does need a good snow, and wet traction, CHEAP tire. What are some suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way great forum!

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
For low price I'd go Firestone Destination A/T.

If she has the Goodyears (good4ayear) those tires are terrible in the rain. Most people pull them off as soon as they can.

Bennett

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
General Grabber AT2

click on one of the links to tire rack and then click on search by size, punch in your tire size and compare away.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pathfinder All Terrains from Pep Boys. Great tread pattern (similar to the BFGoodrich AT/KO tire) and inexpensive ($105 a tire I believe).

Firestone A/T's are great as well.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the Firestone Destination ATs work well, ride good, no noise, I have the 245 70-16s and will go with another set when these are worn out. Also you can run the 245s with stock suspension

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats about what I paid for my Destination ATs, taxes, mounting, balancing etc was less than 350.

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cheap is cheap, dude!! the tires are what connect our precious jeeps and their even more precious occupants to the road! NEVER buy cheap tires.
get the best tires you can find, it may save your lives!! just my 2 cents!

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jelohead said:
cheap is cheap, dude!! the tires are what connect our precious jeeps and their even more precious occupants to the road! NEVER buy cheap tires.

Lets see 77 dollar general at2s or 100 dollar plus goodyear wrangler ST's More expensive is not always better.

Brigrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jelohead said:

Clearly you have never done any research ont he General Grabbers. Or continental tire as a whole...I forgive you for your assumptions, as I felt the same way before I did the research. Having owned BFG All-Terrains, and the General Grabber AT2's, I have the unique persepective of having tried both in all types of conditions. I will not BS you and say the General's perform better, but in my experience they are just as good, not to mention the fact that the Generals have a 60,000 mile warantee whereas the BFG's have no mileage warantee. For around half the price, I see no reason to go with the BFG's over the General.

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first, let me clarify that the original poster wrote in CAPS, CHEAP tires.
second, i myself never mentioned price, i was responding to his desire for CHEAP tires. that, in my opinion, meant lesser quality. i agree that more expensive isnt always better, ie:, replacing those awful wrangler st's are around 125 each, thats certainly not INEXPENSIVE, but it is a CHEAP tire!
get my point now? <grin>

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yes..get those crapyears out...

I got the Destination A/T's. a lot better traction all around

great price too...

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jelohead said:
second, i myself never mentioned price, i was responding to his desire for CHEAP tires. that, in my opinion, meant lesser quality. i agree that more expensive isnt always better, ie:, replacing those awful wrangler st's are around 125 each, thats certainly not INEXPENSIVE, but it is a CHEAP tire!
get my point now? <grin>

Gotcha, and I think the suggestions made are good ones, especially if there will be any offroad duty involved. They are CHEAP as in inexpensive, but not CHEAP as in junk......nobody wants crappy tires. If you are looking for a strictly onroad tire then there will be more options.

Brigrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jelohead said:
get my point now? <grin>

Sorry, I misunderstood.