New Purchase and New into this 4x4 World.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadmanTM

Reaction score
Hello folks, i am new here thanks again for letting me join this wonderful forum.

I just bought a 2007 Jeep liberty sport, with the command-trac 4x4

I was curious to know, i read a lot about the 2wd and the 4hi neutral and 4lo

i know that in 4hi, is in conditions when the wheels have a chance to slip, so this is why on dry pavement the 4wd cannot slip and the torque is not transfered correctly so you get tear in the differential.

i read on the forums but unfortunately i do not understand.

Thanks for lightening me out!!

kjfan18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome,

You only want to use 4hi when trail crusing or offroading and also in slushy,snow, or ice conditions. Alot of the times when on the trail, most people are in 4low and are crawling along the trail, but it depends what type of trail your on too. If you use 4 wheel drive on dry pavement or even wet pavement it will make the components bind and its not good for the 4 wheel drive system and is likely going to damage the 4 wheel drive system. Hope this helps.

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4wd when & where

Owners handbook is pretty clear - please read this is you are unsure especially if you are new to 4wd.

Different folks apply different terms from different breeds of truck & country. The last thing you want to occur is transmission wind-up. Ther's some good brains here but they just might use different terms to those you have heard ot read in mags.

Jeep books apply to Jeeps.

One old landrover owner used to show off how far backwards his landy wud continue to roll when he drove her forwards in a couple of tight circles & then switched her off letting her unwind herself....did him no good in the long run.

Locking your centre dif has a definite time & a place.

Drive wind up should be avoided at all costs.
Best regards
Auberon