New Piston on old rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DC3

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am hoping to hear from those of you that had a valve seat drop and mangled the head and did some damage to the piston. My daughter's 02 3.7L dropped the valve seat on the #2 cylinder last week. I had driven it and made a couple of stops that day with no indication of a problem. After coming from my last stop I started it and a bad sounding metallic tapping immediately started coming from the engine. Also I was hard to start to begin with. I towed it to my buddies garage and checked the cylinders with a camera. I saw some chunks down in the cylinder laying on top of the piston. We removed the head and I took a magnet and it pretty much removed all the pieces. The chamber of the head was what I consider badly damaged along with the piston top located opposite of the intake valve. Incredibly the valve was not bent or damaged on the outside. Now my question is, I plan on replacing the piston and rings. There does not seem to be any scratches or damage to the cylinder so I plan to reuse the rod and bearings on that cylinder. I will hone the cylinder to help seat in the rings. Will reusing the old rod and bearing cause an issue or should I install a new rod also? The engine will remain in the vehicle. I do have two re-manufactured heads ordered. All other pistons are fine with very little carbon build up. Any and all advice will be appreciated. I'll add a pic of the head and piston. The pictures don't really give a good representation of the depth of the dings in the aluminum.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach