new member 05 Liberty Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenM420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello all, new member here looking to find answers for usually easy questions. Or even to give advice as i am MECP certified for car audio/security. Was an apprentice to a master mechanic (my father). I have already done alot of general upkeep on this newly acquired jeep.

My first thing i need help with is the windshield cowl and what is used to secure it to the foam blocks so that it prevents water from going past it. It looks like an automotive Velcro. Has anyone had to fix this issue?

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!
There are removable push pin plastic clips that hold the front of the cowl panel vent cover on. The rear I believe is help on by 4 clips that are part of the cover itself.
I don't believe there's automotive velcro on it and you may be fixing someone elses quick fix. If the velcro is on the windshield side of the cover and some of the connected clips are broken off, you may need to acquire a cover off a dead jeep or online

kenM420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!
There are removable push pin plastic clips that hold the front of the cowl panel vent cover on. The rear I believe is help on by 4 clips that are part of the cover itself.
I don't believe there's automotive velcro on it and you may be fixing someone elses quick fix. If the velcro is on the windshield side of the cover and some of the connected clips are broken off, you may need to acquire a cover off a dead jeep or online

I believe you could be right in it being someone else's quick fix, i have found that the roof rack trim is attached with oem installed snap type velcro, which is what led me to believe that the cowls black foam pieces that are attached to each corner, between the fender are also. I have mopar service manule as well as Haines nowhere does it mention the foam pieces or how the cowl attaches to them. I did read in a forum some time ago about velcro there also, just cant find that post.

kenM420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so today i was able to notice it looks like the rubber trim of the cowl is meant to go under the sides of the windshield side trim. If this is correct can someone let me know...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
so today i was able to notice it looks like the rubber trim of the cowl is meant to go under the sides of the windshield side trim. If this is correct can someone let me know...

Picture of what you have currently??

kenM420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually now that I look at the pictures your gap does look to be a little further away.. the cowl cover is secure though?

yeah, i have to wait until temps hit 50(Wednesday) before i can take a look,been too damn cold and windy last few days. the other side is the same but no 1/4 inch gap. I can push the rear where the soft rubber is and it makes contact.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, i have to wait until temps hit 50(Wednesday) before i can take a look,been too damn cold and windy last few days. the other side is the same but no 1/4 inch gap. I can push the rear where the soft rubber is and it makes contact.

My guess is the retaining clips for that aide are broken off.. when you get the cover off you'll know for sure if they are or aren't by a quick look at them

kenM420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
found out why i have a gap....

Attachments

• 1122161322.jpg
    1122161322.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 1122161322a.jpg
    1122161322a.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 4

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess it was more than 4 clips on the back.. couldn't remember correctly I suppose lol.
But now you can see what I mean by the clips being broken off and likely needing a new cover..
Sorry the previous owner found it quicker to rig something up than run to a junkyard!
Likely would've taken longer and cost just as much to put velcro and glue on there as it would've to hop in the vehicle and pick one up somewhere

kenM420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess it was more than 4 clips on the back.. couldn't remember correctly I suppose lol.
But now you can see what I mean by the clips being broken off and likely needing a new cover..
Sorry the previous owner found it quicker to rig something up than run to a junkyard!
Likely would've taken longer and cost just as much to put velcro and glue on there as it would've to hop in the vehicle and pick one up somewhere

until i have the time to run to my resurrection yard i found 4 laying inside the cavity...reattached them, and now i wait to see if it hold until i can get to a replacement.

someone replaced the windshield and the sealant went past the edge of the windshield causing them to break.

Attachments

• 1122161613.jpg
    1122161613.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 3