New Libby Owner, 2 quick questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enos316

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been trolling the forums for a bit before I decided to purchase a KJ, I was curious to see what the average user thought of it instead of some reviewer from Consumer Reports or something.

Anywho, I took the plunge last week after my 94 Cherokee died (after about 150k miles) and I had 2 quick questions:

1.) What have you found is the best, least intrusive way, to hook up an MP3 player? I see some posts in the Electronics forums about installing Aux Input mods, is that easy to do?

2.) Where do you keep your change in the car? My old Cherokee had a nice little tray right in front of the shifter, but I am at a loss for where to store it now (Aeh)

Thanks for any help, glad I found this great resource! I am very happy with the KJ so far.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enos316 said:
2.) Where do you keep your change in the car? My old Cherokee had a nice little tray right in front of the shifter, but I am at a loss for where to store it now (Aeh)

I keep mine in the ash tray. I have an 2002, not sure if they changed it in later years. The ash tray is located in front of the 4wd lever. Can't help you with your mp3 player question.

Enos316

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, in front of my shifter there is an empty bay where I suppose an ashtry would go, however i have no such thing on the 04.

Maybe I could jury rig something in there, possibly if I bought an ashtry from J-Parts for an 04? Would that just go in the bay?

deknight

Reaction score
Starting in 2004 they stopped using the built in ash tray. You can buy an ash tray that fits in the front (smaller) cup holder. You get it when you purchase the Smoker's Package. Basically its just a cigarette lighter and the ashtray. You can ask your dealer or look on ebay, I see them on there everyonce in a while.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a change holder I picked one up from my local auto shop for a couple bucks. I found this idea from BillForde who is a frequent member of this site. It has worked great and I can still throw stuff in that little tiny storage area.

ChangeHolder.jpg

Enos316

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea, I'll have to check out my local auto parts store and see what I can find for a change holder. Thanks for the info on the ash tray deknight, I use the cup holder too much to replace it methinks (whistle)

How about MP3 player hookups? Anyone tried any of those FM transmitter things?

2003KJ

Reaction score
The "mobile ashtray" started in 2003. I've got an 03 and bought the smokers package even tough I dont smoke. I bought it for the cig. lighter outlet up front (radar detector) and I use the little cup/ashtray/whatever to store my change in and it works pretty well.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
The "mobile ashtray" started in 2003. I've got an 03 and bought the smokers package even tough I dont smoke. I bought it for the cig. lighter outlet up front (radar detector) and I use the little cup/ashtray/whatever to store my change in and it works pretty well.

Pretty sure that the lighter up front is just the lighter itself. If you don't get the smokers package, you still get a power outlet in its place. (at least, that's how it is on the 2005)

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inside the center console right in front of the hinge there is an indentiation that will hold a considerable amount of change, on 05 and later the power outlet under the radio will work with a cigarette lighter and is fused acordingly, if you notice the rubber cover does not say "power outlet 10 amp max" .

Bob

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is another option I found by accident. I hate to say this but one day I was at Wally Mart in the auto section looking for something and I stumbled onto this round black change holder. The type where you insert quarters - dimes - and nickels and it also opened and has storage inside. It is the perfect size to fit in a cupholder. Don't recall the price but it didn't cost much.

Can't help with the mp3 player.

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the ash tray that fits in the forward cup holder if anyone is interested. The lighter too. Never used. The ash tray has a flip up lid that would keep loose change out of site.

Gopherbeats

Reaction score
Enos316 said:
2.) Where do you keep your change in the car? My old Cherokee had a nice little tray right in front of the shifter, but I am at a loss for where to store it now
quote]

I got one from Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yK0gihc0Rqa/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=227450&I=581DFCHR

It works great, plugs right into your factory head unit

What you need to know » Factory radio must have a button labeled "DISC UP" and another button labeled "DISC DOWN".
» You will need to disconnect the external factory CD changer, if you have one, and connect the new adapter in its place.
» The factory radio must not have a built-in CD changer.
» Adapter plugs into the factory radio.
» Unit has 2 sets of stereo RCA inputs.
» If you have the factory satellite radio option, it will no longer work with this adaptor.
» The Crutchfield MasterSheet, if available, does not cover OEM integration.

Enos316

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Gopher. My head unit has the Disc Up and Disc Down buttons (I thinks its an RKB or something like that).

However, there is no disc changer. I guess thats what the site is describing? So I pop out the unit and plug the adapter into the back of it?

Thanks.

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep my change in a small bag in the glove box
You must be registered for see images attach