New Jeep Owner! Help me try to enjoy my purchase!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mazterofpupetz

Reaction score
So I just signed for a 2005 Jeep Liberty 4-cylinder 6 Speed 4x4. Barely 75,000 miles, one owner, and one year powertrain. Scooped it up for 7000 USD.

I think I got a deal, but don't really know for sure as there are not many comparable models to choose from.

The Jeep seemed pretty solid when I inspected it, but before I finalize everything, are there any suggestions of what I should look at under the hood/undercarriage? Are there any notorious issues with my model?

I looked and researched for hours but could not find any reason NOT to buy the Jeep.

But I am freaking MENTAL and can't feel good about such a large purchase. Probably not for years.

Anyone with some experience with the '05 Liberty 4-cylinder care to chime in and help me relax?

hsb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if the dealership will allow you to take it to your personal garage. We did that when we bought my wife's 05 last year. Think it was about $100 to have the once over, they found a couple things that the dealership didnt find and they had to fix.

That is a heck of a price on that vehicle. Think my wife's had 55k w a 6 cyl and we paid in the 12-13k range.

Good luck with the purchase.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hate to say it but hardly anyone at all wants a 4 cylinder , I would rethink it unless its already a done deal

mazterofpupetz

Reaction score
Four cylinder KJ for $7000?
What a waste of money.
You will get better fuel economy out of a 3.7 ltr V6.
Not to mention you can get a V6 for the same price.

Oh well

No other jeeps were for sale that had the 6-speed manual transmission. Plus, according to estimates, I would save close to 1000 USD every year on fuel with the 4-cylinder. Every four cylinder i've owned has always had better than estimated highway mpg too. What do I need the extra 2 cylinders for?

Care to explain how it would be a waste of money?

mazterofpupetz

Reaction score
Hate to say it but hardly anyone at all wants a 4 cylinder , I would rethink it unless its already a done deal

Any thoughts to why? Plenty of power on the highway and I don't tow anything. Why should I opt for the 6 cylinders if I'm not going to need 6 cylinders?

mazterofpupetz

Reaction score
See if the dealership will allow you to take it to your personal garage. We did that when we bought my wife's 05 last year. Think it was about $100 to have the once over, they found a couple things that the dealership didnt find and they had to fix.

That is a heck of a price on that vehicle. Think my wife's had 55k w a 6 cyl and we paid in the 12-13k range.

Good luck with the purchase.

You still have yours? How is it treating you? Happy with your purchase?

mazterofpupetz

Reaction score
the extra cylinders are to help you lug that 4000 lb brick around town :D

Haha. So I drove it twice and really didn't feel a lack of power shifting through the gears. I drive my cars so conservatively too that going for the v6 did not seem like the right choice. Plus, 6-speed! 6! It was fun to drive I thought and lugged my 4k lbs around pretty good I thought!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha. So I drove it twice and really didn't feel a lack of power shifting through the gears. I drive my cars so conservatively too that going for the v6 did not seem like the right choice. Plus, 6-speed! 6! It was fun to drive I thought and lugged my 4k lbs around pretty good I thought!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new Jeep.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No other jeeps were for sale that had the 6-speed manual transmission. Plus, according to estimates, I would save close to 1000 USD every year on fuel with the 4-cylinder. Every four cylinder i've owned has always had better than estimated highway mpg too. What do I need the extra 2 cylinders for?

Care to explain how it would be a waste of money?
On average,mostly depending on terrian,the 2.4 gas KJ get's a lousy 1-2mpg's better then the 3.7 V6,at see level and flat, or far worse then what a 3.7 KJ get's,hilly or mountain area.

Don't forget the 100k timing belt change,that's about $1000 down the drain if you do it right and get new tensioner,idlers,and water pump.

mazterofpupetz

Reaction score
On average,mostly depending on terrian,the 2.4 gas KJ get's a lousy 1-2mpg's better then the 3.7 V6,at see level and flat, or far worse then what a 3.7 KJ get's,hilly or mountain area.

Don't forget the 100k timing belt change,that's about $1000 down the drain if you do it right and get new tensioner,idlers,and water pump.

Thanks for the reminder! I shouldn't have to do that for 3 years though. I'll have to report back on the mileage I get with the 4 cylinder.

Other than the hate for the 4 cylinder, it seems like there isn't much to worry about with the 2005 Liberty.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the tensioner should be done now, regardless of miles.

Other than that, the 4 cyl is ok if you're cool with the power. KJ's are great!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the tensioner should be done now, regardless of miles.

Other than that, the 4 cyl is ok if you're cool with the power. KJ's are great!
Lucky the 2.4 is not a interferance engine,though if the belt breaks/falls off at high rpm the valves can touch each other but that is pretty rare as you'd have to be above 5000rpm's+.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! And I'm sorry to hear about your penis dude... :icon_biggrin:
Well that part is more then fine.

I was actually reffering to a name club started on another forum.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club - JeepForum.com

Very firm believer of the old saying "there's no replacement for displacement" and after I recover my V8 swap funds(family medical emergancy) something in the 390+ cubic inch range will be under the hood of my KJ.Hey gotta overcome the 6000lbs weight,she's fat.

rebelchick

Reaction score
Hi!!! I just closed on my 2005 V6 4x4 KJ today! I absolutely love it! Been wanting one for 5 years and finally traded my 2004 Mustang and 1997 Explorer towards it <3 Came with the fog light bar on top (kinda sealed the deal for me). So excited to be a part of the Jeep World!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Members online