New guy, lots of questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milesvdustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have an 04 Columbia edition. I have a list if questions as I am a total jeep noob other than oil change intervals...

How do I know if it has a tow package?
How often do the diffs need the fluid changed?
How often does the transmission need a fluid/filter change?
How often does the transfer case need changing?
And how can I tell if I have the trac lock axle that everyone seems to hate? Is that a rear-only axle?

Is changing the front suspension bushings a pain in the rear? Mine all look pretty haggard at 112 k miles....

I have a full set of tools with air tools and jacks and all that good stuff. Have always done my own work just never on this jeep.

I stumbled on this website because the head of my front driveshaft gave up the ghost and I found the how-to on it. So thank you for that, and thanks in advance for all the help! :sorrysign:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
We can't answer any of those questions
Sorry..........................:Big Laugh:

First if you have the tow package you'll have a electrical and mechanical fan
Now do you have the manual that came with the KJ it could be hidden in the top part of the glove box
If not there is all the info listed on here as to when / how etc

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
If you just got the KJ, I would swap out all the fluids anyway and start fresh. You never know what kind of maintenance the previous owner did (or didn't) do.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Trac Loc only applies to the rear diff....there should be a sticker on the rear axle stating if it is Trac Loc. My sticker says "4.10 Track Loc" and is on the right-end of the axle.

Nothing wrong with Trac Loc if you maintain it correctly.

And read the Sticky "required fluid types" for advice on oil changes.

Last edited:

Milesvdustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think the manual is still in there. I've had this car for a few years, my wife drove it primarily and I figure it's time for a full refresh on things.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often do the diffs need the fluid changed? 25000 km or whatever that is in american
How often does the transmission need a fluid/filter change? varried reponses, my owners manual says 100000 km or 5 yrs. Some do half of that or thereabouts
How often does the transfer case need changing?I do mine with the diffs
And how can I tell if I have the trac lock axle that everyone seems to hate? Is that a rear-only axle? yes

Do your spark plugs too while your at it. cheap copper ones no platinum.

Coolant flush every 5 yrs and you have the major things covered.

rest is brake fluid and power steering and you'll have all of them.

silentside

Reaction score
I too am new. Just got a lib and have a in dash tv from another car. Was wondering if I can update my interior and install a newer lib (kk) dash in an oldrr kj without fabbing the crap out of it. Old dash is really worn and theres a totalled kk down the street from me

Milesvdustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news is I don't have the trac lock axle. My sticker says 3.73 open cage or something. I did the oil, diffs with 85-140 Dino oil, flushed brakes, transmission change. How do I change the coolant the easiest way and bleed the air out?