New Guy First Post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NDNChief

Reaction score
Hello to everyone. I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty, 4X2, No Mods. I am going to pick up new wheels and tires. I have decided on Wrangler Silent Armor 245/70/16. Want to double check size will fit ok. Also, I have not yet decided on wheels, but have a few questions. Do I need to keep 5.5 inches of Backspacing or will 4.5 be OK. Also, do I need to keep Offset between 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 or can go I beyond that without any issue. If so, how far can the Offset be off from Original. Also, if I go with a rim with a 3 1/2 offset will I have to worry about 245/70/16 rubbing in front when turning? Thanks for help. Liberty seems not to have a big selection of wheels, Man wheels. I am sticking with Alloy. All the ones I like are RWD, which seems to cause an Offset issue. Thanks again for any advice....

NDNChief...

NDNChief

Reaction score
Still not sure!

OK, the wheel I like has a 15 mm positive offset. The liberty has a 33 positive offset. This dealer is telling me it won't work. It will wear on my suspension prematurely. Does 15 mm make that much difference. Any first hand experience with this. Any information with this greatly appreciated. I see all these nice looking wheels on Libertys here, centerline steel wheels, etc... Whats the scoop. Am I stuck buying a FWD Wheel?

NDNChief.....

talleybird_kk

Reaction score
Hello to everyone. I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty, 4X2, No Mods. I am going to pick up new wheels and tires. I have decided on Wrangler Silent Armor 245/70/16. Want to double check size will fit ok. Also, I have not yet decided on wheels, but have a few questions. Do I need to keep 5.5 inches of Backspacing or will 4.5 be OK. Also, do I need to keep Offset between 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 or can go I beyond that without any issue. If so, how far can the Offset be off from Original. Also, if I go with a rim with a 3 1/2 offset will I have to worry about 245/70/16 rubbing in front when turning? Thanks for help. Liberty seems not to have a big selection of wheels, Man wheels. I am sticking with Alloy. All the ones I like are RWD, which seems to cause an Offset issue. Thanks again for any advice....

NDNChief...
I am running 245/75/16 with 4.5 backspacing. Stock suspension. The only time I experience rubbing is in a tight reverse, i.e. backing out of a tight parking space...

NDNChief

Reaction score
Hey tallybird_kk, you are running 245/75/16 on stock suspension with only minor rub in reverse, at full turn? 245/75/16 would give me around another 1/2 inch of clearance, and an inch over my stock 225. Worried about rub though. Does the 08' 4x4 and 4x2 have same clearance stock? Decided to keep original rims, they look ok, will put money in some other mod. Is it safer to stay with 245/70/16, or risk the 245/75/16?

Latest posts

Members online