New guy 04 liberty trans problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slow08si

Reaction score
Just got a 04 liberty 4x4 210,000 miles has only 1st 2ed and just revs up after second has revers and neutral and 4x4 works as we'll throwing codes too

P0700
P0733
P0734
P0846
P0731
P0430
I cleared them all and only p0700 and p0733 came back insight would be great thanks brandon :shrug:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PO700 is the generic "your ****** has a problem" code.

PO733: your input RPM doesn't match your output RPM.
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Shift solenoids
- Transmission mechanical problems
- Transmission hydraulic control circuit

Change the fluid and filter if the level is good. Fill if level is low. I'd check the range solenoids on the driver's side above the shift cable; I made the mistake of putting aftermarket sensors in when I replaced my ****** (I got mine with a toasted trans) and it immediately threw a code. Replaced those sensors with Mopar and all has been well since.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PO700 is the generic "your ****** has a problem" code.

PO733: your input RPM doesn't match your output RPM.
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Shift solenoids
- Transmission mechanical problems
- Transmission hydraulic control circuit

Change the fluid and filter if the level is good. Fill if level is low. I'd check the range solenoids on the driver's side above the shift cable; I made the mistake of putting aftermarket sensors in when I replaced my ****** (I got mine with a toasted trans) and it immediately threw a code. Replaced those sensors with Mopar and all has been well since.

That ^^^^^

When the input and output speeds don't match it means there's slippage in the ****** somewhere. Leeann's last two items point to clutch packs going bad and it can be identified at a ****** shop that hooks up their scanner and drives the Jeep. They look for Clutch Volume Index (CVI) numbers that have to be within a specific range - if they aren't the clutch pack(s) are bad.

IIRC the clutch packs are paired like this: 1st/Reverse, 2nd/4th, 3rd/Overdrive. So if you're having issues when the ****** is shifting into overdrive the 3rd/OD clutch pack is going bad. If it won't go into fourth then your 2nd/4th pack is going bad.

Once clutch packs go bad it's time for a rebuild :favorites68:

Bob

Slow08si

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight I was told the guy befor me changed the filter and fluid but said there was clutch in the pan I haven't heard that befor I would think if that's the case then the trans wouldn't work right in any gear could be wrong but he said 3 and 4 are gone so I gusse it's time to look for a trans do you think the shift seiolnd could be doing this

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight I was told the guy befor me changed the filter and fluid but said there was clutch in the pan I haven't heard that befor I would think if that's the case then the trans wouldn't work right in any gear could be wrong but he said 3 and 4 are gone so I gusse it's time to look for a trans do you think the shift seiolnd could be doing this

Well did he put the correct fluid in there.... That's where I would start ;)

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a 04 liberty 4x4 210,000 miles has only 1st 2ed and just revs up after second has revers and neutral and 4x4 works as we'll throwing codes too

I was told the guy befor me changed the filter and fluid but said there was clutch in the pan

Yikes!! Were these things known to you before or after you bought the thing? If before, I take it you (should have) gotten it dirt cheap.

Slow08si

Reaction score
I have about 1200 in it so even if I have to put a trans in I have found them for around 500 used so 1700 +fluid filter change and be good to go

Slow08si

Reaction score
Also fluid level was right and he put back the right fluid in it I drove it a bit ago and it shift great throw all gears no jerks or hard shifting but I got in it and ran it hard to see if I my skip 3rd and go into 4th but no luck the second time it actually stayed in second gear and would not go any higher so it didn't even try to change out of 2ed but it throw a code for 4th after I got back also some times it seems when I come to a stop it don't down shift all the way so revs more then moves if that makes sense just would to here a yes get a trans or no try this lol

Slow08si

Reaction score
Picked up a used trans 30 day warranty 110,000 miles went ahead and changed the filter and cleaned the pan pulled the trans out yesterday took 3 hrs by my self and about another hour tonite getting the new trans cleaned up and attach to the transfer case ready to be installed tomorrow will go In faster then it come out being I know where everything goes lol

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up a used trans 30 day warranty 110,000 miles went ahead and changed the filter and cleaned the pan pulled the trans out yesterday took 3 hrs by my self and about another hour tonite getting the new trans cleaned up and attach to the transfer case ready to be installed tomorrow will go In faster then it come out being I know where everything goes lol

Punctuation.

Latest posts

Members online