New Belt - No AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after a VERY long I got a mechanic to look at the ac today and he said that the clutch is shot and should probably just get the whole compressor assembly. Any opinions on this? Apparently when he reached in and turned it with his hand there was an awful grinding.

When my AC went the whole pulley seized up. Didn't realize it. The belt kept running with such force and at such an angle that it ripped the pulley off the water pump. My poor Jeep's water broke!!! I don't really understand the physics myself, but seized pulleys suck. Anyway, as long as it is just the clutch and not a seized pulley... I think you can just replace parts on it, will have to do some research. Of course I've got a new AC Compresser, clutch, and water pump for my troubles. Hopefully it goes a little smoother for you.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They guy who looked at it said to just replace the whole thing, but I just looked on rockauto and it's over $300! September is drawing near and I will definitely be sorry if I don't get it fixed by then, but I just can't see myself paying for that. I don't even know anyone I really trust to look at it and tell me if I can just fix the parts or if I definitely need the whole new thing...

On that note, anyone have an ac compressor they want to sell me? I've seen a few posts where you guys have rerouted the serpentine belt to avoid the ac, you definitely don't need it!

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a new compressor off a wrecked '05 and we are chillin' again! Just in time for the upcoming hell month of September too!

One odd thing about the compressor, the end on the low pressure hose from the condensor to the compressor is backwards from mine on the '05. I convinced the mechanic to take a torch to it and flip it around and promised him that if it broke under pressure (LoW pressure!!) I wouldn't blame him and he showed me where it unhooked to get a new hose.

So far everything looks good, AC is chilled, and I'm still driving around hanging out the window :) OH yea, and he only charge me $50! So I gave him $60 and a presidente, he came to my house to fix it!