New Axe and Shovel Mounts Inside the KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Inc

Free
Reaction score
I used to carry my axe and shovel on my roof rails. It worked perfectly until I added my roof cross rails. I mounted the "quick fist grips" on the inside of the roof rails but with the new cross rails, the mounts would have to be moved to the top of the rails and I didn't like that they stuck up as high as they did, they didn't lock and were more obvious for thieves in that position and I knew they'd eventually meet up with a tree branch or two and might tear something off. Here is what they used to look like back in the day.
You must be registered for see images

I haven't been able to carry the shovel and axe since then since I didn't want them sitting loose in the rear. I thought about mounting them under my rear seat, but I keep a backpack full of cold weather gear, a blanket and other emergency stuff under there and didn't want to find a new place to store that stuff. Yesterday I had an idea to mount them to the back seat. I thought I could easily fab a bracket for the quick fists to mount to. Then I saw the useless grocery bag holders sitting back there and thought I could use those mounting screws to hold the quick fist grips. I unscrewed the 2 grocery holders that would be the mount locations for the new mounts, and they were in the perfect spots. I cut away the carpet that is underneath the grocery holders and if I want to take the axe and shovel mounts off, I can just add the grocery holders back on and the only difference will be that you can see more metal beneath them instead of carpet (which i prefer anyway). So all I had to do was add small washers to the existing screws and then screw the quick fist grips to the rear seats. Worked perfectly. Now the axe and shovel are mounted securely inside the jeep, they take up next to no space, and now when I need them like I did a few weeks ago they will always be there. I think it turned out perfectly. I may go to Home Depot and get matching screws that are longer so I can mount the quick fists to the top of the grocery mounts instead of completely removing the grocery holders, so that will pull the tip of the shovel away from the plastic bracket that covers the seat lock on the pass side because it may rattle when hitting big bumps. But so far I am stoked that I found a new convenient spot for more tools that I need to carry and it didn't cost me any additional money because I already had everything I needed.
:pepper:

Inc

Free
Reaction score
Looks good. I really need to build a cargo organizer...

I am debating on redoing mine in metal. The wood was what I had laying around the garage. It works great, but after having a ton of stuff piled in and dragged out from on top of it, it is starting to chip on the very edges. I'll probably wear this one out and do it then. It is really really nice to store a ton of tools, and keep them secured at all times, and even lockable.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks good. I really need to build a cargo organizer...

Kinda what i was thinking too.

I run with a big rubbermaid tub in the cargo area for spare fluids and smaller spare parts, and then the tool box... but would like to do something like what Mike's got. Looks better.

Inc

Free
Reaction score
All mine is, is a few 2x4s, an some ply wood. I picked up the locking latch and drawer slides from Home Depot for dirt cheap. The drawer brackets are rated for 200 pounds or something too. I also made the rear of the box angled to match the rear seat, which in turn made the thing fit in there really snug and tight. Behind the CO2 tank is a cubby hole where I keep a bunch of MREs.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good Mike. I like where you mounted them. That is better than having them on the top of the jeep. Nice tool box you made too.

The back of my jeep is a mess and pretty full of stuff. I have only a folding military shovel and a hand axe in mine so they are in my recovery bag.

Dave

Inc

Free
Reaction score
Looks good Mike. I like where you mounted them. That is better than having them on the top of the jeep. Nice tool box you made too.

The back of my jeep is a mess and pretty full of stuff. I have only a folding military shovel and a hand axe in mine so they are in my recovery bag.

Dave

Both of those are good to have and will work for sure. Plus they hardly take up any room at all. You never know when one might come in handy, and it ***** to need one and not have it in the jeep.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like it! I'm om the look out for some sort of net for the rear door. Mike where did you get those bags?

Inc

Free
Reaction score
Like it! I'm om the look out for some sort of net for the rear door. Mike where did you get those bags?

I bought some seat covers from a member on LOST and the bags came with them. The seat covers are Rugged Ridge IIRC.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score

I don't know if this is true for all years, but in my '02 with the 6-disk CD changer in the back cargo area... my cargo net IS on the tailgate door. :cool: