New Alternator and Battery. System not charging.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJohn826

Reaction score
I searched the forum and read similar topics, but haven’t quite found my answer. The charging light came on last week. I was able to make it home. I shut off the car and tried to start it again and it wouldn’t start. I replaced the battery, car started and died about 10 minutes later. Assumed the alternator was bad, so I replaced it, but new alternator still wasn’t charging the battery. Got another Alternator, just to be sure and same result. The fusible link seems intact according to my multimeter test. Grounds look good, at least the ones I can see. All wires also look good. Tried the hard reset of the PCM as well. Not sure what else to check before I replace the PCM. Any ideas???? Thanks for your help.

2012 Sport

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
wires " look good " ?
Check all grounds ?
Were alternators checked to make sure they were good or bad ?

BigJohn826

Reaction score
wires " look good " ?
Check all grounds ?
Were alternators checked to make sure they were good or bad ?
Wires and grounds look good. I was just able to test the two wires that plug into the alternator and the dark green/brown wire is showing 12V but the other wire red/light green (or tan) has 0v.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
But grounds can " look good " but have some corrosion etc under / around them and not have the contact they should have
A guy here in my little berg , is daughter goes to school 2.5 hours away
He had her take her Jeep to 4 different shops, finally took a trailer, hauled it back and asked me if I wanted it for 500 bucks
20 minutes later we had it repaired, 2 bad grounds
Just had to remove them and clean and reinstall
Then he wouldn't sell it LOL

Not saying that is exactly your issue but worth fully checking instead of just looking

BigJohn826

Reaction score
But grounds can " look good " but have some corrosion etc under / around them and not have the contact they should have
A guy here in my little berg , is daughter goes to school 2.5 hours away
He had her take her Jeep to 4 different shops, finally took a trailer, hauled it back and asked me if I wanted it for 500 bucks
20 minutes later we had it repaired, 2 bad grounds
Just had to remove them and clean and reinstall
Then he wouldn't sell it LOL

Not saying that is exactly your issue but worth fully checking instead of just looking
Definitely doesn’t hurt to fully check. Is there a diagram which pinpoints where they all are?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the sticky in front of the KK General Discussion Section...has some links to wiring diagrams for certain KKs!

I have some "overall" diagrams for the 2008 and 2012 KKs....generally show most wires going into the Totally Intergrated Power Module...Left Front of Engine Compartment!

The basic diagram for the Charging Circuit shows the "Fusable Link"...which you have checked..starting out as a Red wire from the battery, turning Light Blue although this may change depending on the Amp Rating for the built-in fuse.

This then goes to a Red/Grey wire on the large stud of the Alternator/Generator. A Grey/Red wire comes off pin #2 on the Alternator which goes to Connector C1 pin 24 "Gen Sens" on the PCM....Right Rear of Engine Compartment.

A Brown/Dark Green wire comes off pin #1 on the alternator to connector C2 pin 19 "Gen Field Ctrl" at the PCM.

Generator is obviously grounded to engine.

I am not sure if this is for the 2008 or 2012 KK...check if wire colors match!:(

I got these diagrams from "cardiagn.com" somehow!

Last edited:

BigJohn826

Reaction score
Look at the sticky in front of the KK General Discussion Section...has some links to wiring diagrams for certain KKs!

I have some "overall" diagrams for the 2008 and 2012 KKs....generally show most wires going into the Totally Intergrated Power Module...Left Front of Engine Compartment!

The basic diagram for the Charging Circuit shows the "Fusable Link"...which you have checked..starting out as a Red wire from the battery, turning Light Blue although this may change depending on the Amp Rating for the built-in fuse.

This then goes to a Red/Grey wire on the large stud of the Alternator/Generator. A Grey/Red wire comes off pin #2 on the Alternator which goes to Connector C1 pin 24 "Gen Sens" on the PCM....Right Rear of Engine Compartment.

A Brown/Dark Green wire comes off pin #1 on the alternator to connector C2 pin 19 "Gen Field Ctrl" at the PCM.

Generator is obviously grounded to engine.

I am not sure if this is for the 2008 or 2012 KK...check if wire colors match!:(

I got these diagrams from "cardiag”

Thanks! The links aren’t loading for me for some reason. I was able to figure it out and both wires are good. Gonna try an external voltage regulator.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it will be difficult to trace the wiring much further...they dissapear into the PCM and some lines from the PCM then dissappear on CAN C BUS lines to "Computer Data Lines System" somewhere....a White/Light Blue line and a White/Black line!

I have seem some posts over the years where Owners have fitted an External Voltage Regulator to good effect! ;)