New 2002 Liberty multiple questions:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my hands on it on saturday. have been driving it for a few days and now i have questions. There are multiple topics so here goes:

-Factory Alarm: i have a sticker on the driver window that says automatic theft protection (ATP) this is the factory system correct?
occasionally when i put the key in the door to unlock it, the alarm goes off...if i lock the door then unlock again with the key the alarm stops and it is fine. i cant tell if i am initially using the key too fast for the sensor to read the chip, or what is going on. maybe the chip is getting weak? the door lock is filled with debris?

-Dash lights:

is the shift indicator on the console supposed to light up? if so any info on taking it apart to replace the bulb, i am assuming it un clips and slides up the shifter to access the bulb.
part time light goes out when shifted to 4low. it works fine in 4high. i am assuming the sensor on the linkage is out of adjustment? it should keep the part time light on, and light up a 4low light correct?

-when shifting into drive from R or N it takes a second to engage, is this normal? i was thinking of changing the fluid and filters out.

-i have yet to verify the batteries in the remote i got with the jeep he said it never worked on the jeep in the 2 years he owned it, once i get good batteries in it, can i program the remote on my own?

-it looked like these use those crappy 2 piece lug nuts that like to come apart. is this true?

I think that is all for now.
any help would be great!
Thanks
________

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Just got my hands on it on saturday. have been driving it for a few days and now i have questions. There are multiple topics so here goes:

-Factory Alarm: i have a sticker on the driver window that says automatic theft protection (ATP) this is the factory system correct?
occasionally when i put the key in the door to unlock it, the alarm goes off...if i lock the door then unlock again with the key the alarm stops and it is fine. i cant tell if i am initially using the key too fast for the sensor to read the chip, or what is going on. maybe the chip is getting weak? the door lock is filled with debris?

-Dash lights:

is the shift indicator on the console supposed to light up? if so any info on taking it apart to replace the bulb, i am assuming it un clips and slides up the shifter to access the bulb.
part time light goes out when shifted to 4low. it works fine in 4high. i am assuming the sensor on the linkage is out of adjustment? it should keep the part time light on, and light up a 4low light correct?

-when shifting into drive from R or N it takes a second to engage, is this normal? i was thinking of changing the fluid and filters out.

-i have yet to verify the batteries in the remote i got with the jeep he said it never worked on the jeep in the 2 years he owned it, once i get good batteries in it, can i program the remote on my own?

-it looked like these use those crappy 2 piece lug nuts that like to come apart. is this true?

Welcome ... and working backwards up your list...

Yes on the crappy lugs ... I would get rid of them before they cause you additional problems at the wrong time.

As far as I know dealer must program key fobs

Yes and the occasional clunk may be heard from the trans

Yes there is a bulb in the shift indicator ... check the how-to's for remove and replace

I have no stickers to announce the factory alarm and have never used the key itself to unlock ... so ...not sure

Good Luck

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2002 Jeep Liberty on Saturday also!

Mine doesn't have the alarm thing you're asking about...

The "part time" light goes on when in 4hi. In 4lo, the light is in the top right side of the instrument cluster (so it's a different light for each mode).

Transmission seems to engage pretty quick.. If it literally takes 1 second, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Mine shifts quick enough that I didn't even think about it or notice anything usual if that helps. It might take a second.

Congratulations...

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info so far

i had those lug nuts on my XJ hate them! and i thought thats what they looked like on the KJ too.

thanks for the info on the alarm to.
i guess the sensor commonly gets dirty/crusty. found some info in the how to area on replacing it/taking it apart.

thanks

ps i will post pictures later

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome jeeptorino68.
Ok the "transfer case position switch" does not always work the best and replacement through lower console area is probably do able. I would have someone check the shifter linkage as well to make sure all is well there first. When shifting in and out of any 4 WD modes it is recommended that you first shift into neutral (on ****** shifter) moving slowly forward to engage and take out of any 4 WD positions. The command trac-with Part time is only recommended to run on slippery surfaces only like mud and snow and doing it on drive pavement will cause severe binding and possible damage it in tight turns etc.
Get your owners manual out and start to read it.. lots o good info there.
I also would recommend that you obtain free of charge a list / build sheet or options list from a dealer with your VIN #. This will tell you your transfer case and transmission and rear end/gears type etc. Being an 02 you probably have the better 45RFE ****** so get you build list. Hesitating a small amount is kinda normal but the ****** fluid level should be checked hot in neutral and should be right on the top full line, not over or under and ATF+4 type of fluids is used on Jeeps (not regular ATF!!) and HOAT COOLANT not Prestone. (Lol)
The McGard Lugs are 1/2" x 20 threads cone. Part #64010 I like them.
Alarm ....use the key remote FOB to lock doors and open.
Hope this helps a bit too...

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info LibertyTC, i knew most of the above from my previous 4x4s but thanks anyways.

funny you should mention the build sheet, i just got it in an email from jeep today!
thanks for the info on fluids and lug nuts too!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome fellow 2002 owners. After putting a few miles on an '02 I must say these are the best of the best. Plenty of quirks and what all. Highly suggest reading through "How To's" past posts,etc. Good reading. What do you desire of your Liberty? Trail riding? Commuter? Recommend skid plates first no matter what your use,past post by a fellow that hit a tire on the road,oil pan I think. These are a very underestimated 4X4.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so far i like it,

for stock off road type accessories it appears to have the front skid plate, anti spin differential (as the build sheet calls it, or limited slip as i like to call it), trailer hitch, heavy duty engine cooling.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so far i like it,

for stock off road type accessories it appears to have the front skid plate, anti spin differential (as the build sheet calls it, or limited slip as i like to call it), trailer hitch, heavy duty engine cooling.

So let's see...You've got the better transmission (45RFE), HD cooling and hitch (HD cooling comes in handy for the ****** when wheeling), TracLock diff, and a front skid. Would be easy to add the transmission, transfer case and gas tank factory skids, a nice OME lift... Without a lot of work you've got yourself a real nice Liberty for daily driving and off-road fun :smokin:

Welcome to the forum!

Bob

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what i was thinking too!. wife probably wouldnt like it since i have our 92 cherokee set up for that haha. see specs in my signature

the build sheet says 235 70 16 tires was stock, it has 255 70 16 (30x10) so that is a plus also, the future plans are clevis lift in the front and extra isolator pads in the back to boost it an inch or less and get rid of the rake. Other than that it will probably stay on the road for the most part. it has brand new tires (they lean more towards a highway tread but arent that bad)

i do need to add tow hooks on the front though, i will either be building my own brackets or if i can find a set for sale cheap enough i can go that route too. i want all my vehicles to have tow points front and rear. even if you are not going to go off road, or on trails, if you hit the snow, or go to the beach you will find someone stuck, or even find yourself stuck without trying.

Last edited:

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So am I understanding this correctly? The 2002 is a desireable model?

Better transmission? I'm guessing this means less prone to failure?

That's great! I ended up with a 2002 purely by chance.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
So am I understanding this correctly? The 2002 is a desireable model?

Better transmission? I'm guessing this means less prone to failure?

That's great! I ended up with a 2002 purely by chance.

45RFE is same as 1-ton trucks. One time the mfg. gets it right first year.

If you don't know history for certain; get trans flushed at dealer-NOT the cheaper place-THE DEALER with a filter change after-at the dealer. Change ALL other fluids/filters. Change out plugs,just use copper plugs. Stay on 3000mile engine oil/filter changes. Use the sever service schedule and you will be on the right track.

Last edited:

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
45RFE is same as 1-ton trucks. One time the mfg. gets it right first year.

If you don't know history for certain; get trans flushed at dealer-NOT the cheaper place-THE DEALER with a filter change after-at the dealer. Change ALL other fluids/filters. Change out plugs,just use copper plugs. Stay on 3000mile engine oil/filter changes. Use the sever service schedule and you will be on the right track.

Wow, so I accidentally bought something good?

I think a transmission flush would be a good idea just so I know it's okay. What do you figure a dealer typically charges for this?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, but you won't get all the ****** fluid out!
So that really doesn't do much good!

Ryan's right. Just dropping the pan won't actually flush the ****** and some of the old ATF+4 stays in there. A flush with the right fluid from the dealer or a top notch transmission shop is good insurance.

Bob

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan's right. Just dropping the pan won't actually flush the ****** and some of the old ATF+4 stays in there. A flush with the right fluid from the dealer or a top notch transmission shop is good insurance.

Bob

I have a Pela 6000 oil extractor. I can shove the extractor hose down the ****** dipstick tube and suck some out of there too. Some guy did a YouTube video on how to do this. You can get at least a couple more liters out that way (after you've drained the pan). He stops at two liters (or quarts) so I don't know how much you can really get if you keep going.

I may not get every last drop, but it's going to cost me nothing but the price of the fluid and filter. Probably $80 instead of $250. I just have a serious aversion to going to dealers. I'd rather give a local independant guy $250 to do this for me before I go to a dealer. The problem is $250 suddenly turns into $2500 at the dealer.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend going to dealer. it will flush the entire system. You'll never get the fluid in the torque converter on your own by any conventional means. Here mine came in under $200. Thought it was a darn good deal. You get some sort of warranty with it too, but I can't remember what it is. It is totally worth doing. They'll do a quick relearn in the computer too, but that may or may not be extra. Someone who knows I'm sure will chime in.

...oh and congrats on a very nice Jeep. Wish I had my 03 with the 45 still. :disgust:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.